Image Cataloguing

Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited January 25, 2006 in Finishing School
As a fanactical photographer I collect in excess of 300 images a week (and in my last vacation of 2 weeks a weekago I collected 4500 photos. I am not that organised and have never been able to work out an effective way of cataloguing all my pics. Can anyone please expound to me their best methods and even software that enables them to easily find and use their many photos.

Thank you.
Bruce :thumb

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    I moved your post here, from the Hall of Wisdom.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
  • Erie BuoyErie Buoy Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    iMatch
    I've been pretty happy with iMatch (http://www.photools.com/). It is highly customizable and deals with my *.NEF formatted files quite well. The details of the database structure are knowable (i.e. not proprietary) so if you wanted to migrate to another piece of organization software in the future, you could. It's also priced quite reasonably at $60.00.

There is also a somewhat active iMatch User forum at http://ptforum.photoolsweb.com/ubbthreads.php.

Do you have specific requirements for your cataloguing needs?

Cheers,

Matt
    Explore (and add to!) smugmug co-branding on del.icio.us
  • VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Im not a pro.

Year Month date
    /05/januari - 15/

and when its 4 gb I burn it. :)
  • Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Thanks
    Andy wrote:
    I moved your post here, from the Hall of Wisdom.

Thanks - just figured wisdom was the place to seek.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    I just started playing with iView Media Pro today.(21 day trial)
    Seems real nice so far...although it did crash the first time I used it :cry
    But seems ok now but we will see.

One thing I like is ...I use Roxio CD creator for DVDs and iView read them with no trouble.

It will sure be real nice to get organized :D
    My files are a mess... luckily I have a mind like a steel trap..............................Not

Fred
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    I just started playing with iView Media Pro today.(21 day trial)
    Seems real nice so far...although it did crash the first time I used it :cry

Version 3 has a lot of problems. I haven't upgraded because of that and also the fact that the upgrade price is so steep.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Version 3 has a lot of problems. I haven't upgraded because of that and also the fact that the upgrade price is so steep.

Boy you got that right buggy buggy buggy.
    I loaded 16 DVDs saved after each one thought I was doing good
    Thought I would have a place to go back to but not so this time when it crashed it took the saved file out too :cry

I then tried iMatch I didn't like that at all but it is still early so who knows.

I am now using iView pro 3.0.2b2 beta version
    It actually seems more stable up to about 5 DVDs and no crashes at all ...yet

What have I missed?

Is there anything else out there to do this ?
    I like iView Pro but to many bugs

Also I think I am spoiled now I have found a lot of photos I have been working on but have forgotten about.

Thanks
    Fred
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    What do you guys think about Photoshop Elements 4? I'm currently using this, but I'm going to be curious to see how the Adobe Lightroom turns out when it is released for Windows.
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Sask2005 wrote:
    As a fanactical photographer I collect in excess of 300 images a week (and in my last vacation of 2 weeks a weekago I collected 4500 photos. I am not that organised and have never been able to work out an effective way of cataloguing all my pics. Can anyone please expound to me their best methods and even software that enables them to easily find and use their many photos.

Thank you.
    Bruce thumb.gif

I always seem to do things the hard way when it comes to cataloging. I burn 2 DVD's for each shoot (in addition to what I have to deliver) or fill up 2 DVD's for family stuff. I shoot a master and a copy. Master goes in the fireproof safe. Copy goes in a light fast storage box. I keep a copy of the folder on my storage drive as well.

I write the date, job, and general subject like model name or company im shooting for. I name the folder that stores the RAW and TIFF files the date of the shoot.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Picassa!
    I love Picassa. It is a delight to use such a well designed interface. It keeps track of more tags than you even knew you had. And it offers quick backup to media solutions. And a groovy timeline feature.

It's WAY faster than iView and it's free.

http://picasa.google.com/index.html

I LOVE Picassa.

-Trish
    edited January 24, 2006
    Thanks everyone
    I will give Picassa a look as soom as I can.
    And elements 4 also

Fred
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    I'm using ACDsee and it's great!!!
  • dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    For a general perspective, http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1146395 may be helpful.
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 24, 2006
    I recently attended the Nikon School seminar in LA and one of the instructors did a demonstration of PhotoMechanic (www.camerabits.com)

It blew me away! Check it out.
  • madderncmaddernc Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    I am happily using IMatch.

Cain
    "One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it." Galen Rowell

WildFocus Images

Blog: WIldFocus Images
  • tibutibu Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    IMatch
    Hi

I'm also using IMatch, the power of the scripts is more than enough reason.
    For instance I use it to write keywords to pictures in the right format for Smugmug :-), i.e. if a keyword has spaces it gets put between quotes

Carlos