Options

Settings for photographing eagles?

DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
edited January 21, 2006 in Wildlife
I'll have the 300D and the 70-200.... short I know.. but its all I got lol.

Supposed to be partly cloudy (or mostly sunny :dunno )
Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Dani wrote:
    I'll have the 300D and the 70-200.... short I know.. but its all I got lol.

Supposed to be partly cloudy (or mostly sunny ne_nau.gif )

:nono Dani you know better than to ask that. "Settings" vary from minute to minute, photographer to photographer, gear used, and place to place.

Guidelines? Sure - we have plenty: You need as fast a shutter speed as possible - to avoid camera shake, and to stop action (unless you are shooting Harry's stuffed eagle on that tree in the Viera wetlands rolleyes1.gif )

So, think FAST shutter speed first. Like 1/500th, better at 1/1000th. You'll need to crank your ISO up, but DON'T WORRY about that, because you're shooting with a Canon deal.gif

Now, the final part of the equation is that the smaller the aperture, the greater your DOF. Even at f/4, you can have part of the bird NOT in focus. So you'll likely want to be at f/5.6, maybe f/8 IMO - also 5.6 and 8 are nearer to the sweetspot of your glass.

Finally - probably wise to shoot in RAW and set your EC to -1/3 - avoiding chance of the blowout on the Eagle's head.

Does this help?
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    What Andy said and use AV mode.
    That was funny about Harry's stuffed Eagle.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    that sounds about what I was thinking.

and I ALWAYS shoot raw thumb.gif
    Andy wrote:
    :nono Dani you know better than to ask that. "Settings" vary from minute to minute, photographer to photographer, gear used, and place to place.

Guidelines? Sure - we have plenty: You need as fast a shutter speed as possible - to avoid camera shake, and to stop action (unless you are shooting Harry's stuffed eagle on that tree in the Viera wetlands rolleyes1.gif )

So, think FAST shutter speed first. Like 1/500th, better at 1/1000th. You'll need to crank your ISO up, but DON'T WORRY about that, because you're shooting with a Canon deal.gif

Now, the final part of the equation is that the smaller the aperture, the greater your DOF. Even at f/4, you can have part of the bird NOT in focus. So you'll likely want to be at f/5.6, maybe f/8 IMO - also 5.6 and 8 are nearer to the sweetspot of your glass.

Finally - probably wise to shoot in RAW and set your EC to -1/3 - avoiding chance of the blowout on the Eagle's head.

Does this help?
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Hey Dani,

I saw Andy's advice and its ok for someone who last live eagle was seen in a cage in the Bronx.

Having seen a few in an unfettered state I will throw in a few points to consider. The challenge of getting a decent eagle shot is the proper exposure. You are dealing with a white head and a dark body. If you catch an eagle roosting in a tree I try to expose off the head. If its roosting you should have time for a trial shot. Before you move in to capture him take a quick shot and check your highlights. You want to have a bit of blown highlight around the edges of the head but not too much. The eagle's body will be a bit underexposed but this can be brought out in post processing. If you blow out too much of the head you will have a nice eagle body but a head with no detail. I shoot in aperture priority and usually do an ev adjustment or at -0.3.

If the eagle is in the air the head is not as prominent and you want to expose more for the darker body. Keep your shutter speed to about 1/1000 second (faster is better). For flight shots I will usually do an ev adjustment of +0.3 or +0.7

Please note that the ev adjustments will vary according to the light you are shooting in. A big factor will be if the eagle is backlit or not.

Good luck.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    and usually do an ev adjustment or at -0.3.
    Keep your shutter speed to about 1/1000 second (faster is better).

Haven't we heard this already in this thread headscratch.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Haven't we heard this already in this thread headscratch.gif

Just re-enforcing the excellent point you made. bowdown.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    So only crank up the ISO for flight shots or bump it up a little anyway?? Not that we have any Bald Eagles down here....not even a stuffed one in a tree.
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    luckydog wrote:
    So only crank up the ISO for flight shots or bump it up a little anyway?? Not that we have any Bald Eagles down here....not even a stuffed one in a tree.
    Plenty of wedgies about mate. You should have them about your way.