Dgrin Mini Challenge #264 - Panning - RESULTS

CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
edited April 20, 2018 in The Dgrin Challenges

Thank you all for the great entries to this Mini. I enjoy panning shots, and you guys didn't disappoint! I love seeing the blurred backgrounds depicting the speed of a perfectly focused subject. I am jealous of the talent shown here!

Some comments:

Moose: Racing probably makes one of the best venues for panning and your shots are really well done. I love the lighting and brake rotors on the Sebring shot and the ferris wheel in the background on the Rolex 24. Although Keselowski is not my favorite Nascar personality :smile: , the focus on the Pocono shot is right on! Actually, the focus on all three shots is right on.

Pieter: Although the subjects are a bit blurred in the human racing shots, I laughed out loud at the big feet! These certainly show the speed! The shot of the 'taxi' in India is so well done - perfect focus on the taxi and the men (one of which looks like he's holding on for dear life), with a wonderfully blurred background showing the speed of the vehicle.

Dave G: Old cars in Cuba make for fun shots, however there is not quite enough bluring of the background to show speed. But I like the shot anyway! Your duck shots are good - I especially like the last one with the reflection. As I said before - Stunt Ducks.

Peter (GSPeP): Both motorcycle shots show nice speed with good focus on the subject. The KTM has so much detail on the bike and driver, I think that one is my favorite of the two. The skier is superb!

Paul: As always, your bird shots are all wonderful with such satisfying POVs. The Great Crested Grebe probably is the best example of panning of all three. The background and the fact that the bird is leaning forward increases the feeling of speed. His expression also seems to have a goal in mind. The last three shots you posted that are not entries - all lovely and I hope they have been framed and hung!

Lillian: Love kitty running through the tall grass - his/her face is well focused. Spinning in the Park is so lovely! It's probably not considered panning, but it is so unusual and well done.

Jeromy: Your motorcycle shot is focused so well and does show speed. Good action on the Basketball court too. But your girl on a swing rope is superb - focus, speed and the reaction on her face is so good. It just makes me smile every time I look at it.

Results - you guys didn't make my job easy - you are all so talented.

Honorable Mention:

Peter (GSPeP) - KTM - great lighting, focus and feeling of speed.

Paul - Great Crested Grebe - Although the Grebe may not show much speed, one can feel the movement in the shot. I love the bird's expression as well.

Top Three:

Third place: Moose - Brad Keselowski at Pocono.

Second Place: Jeromy - Field Trip rope swing

First Place - Pieter (Pegelli) - India

Congratulations Pieter on a perfect panning shot. Speed, focus, and story - it has it all. Your turn to pick the next Mini Challenge!

Comments