What lens would you get in the circumstance?

Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
edited January 22, 2006 in Cameras
I am finding our church bright enough to get good shots with my 28-70 f3.5-4.5 Mk I lens. But, just as I expected there are times when I want something close to a 28mm equivalent on my D60 (the D60 was purchased used a few months ago). One of the things that I would take shots of with my Sony D770 at the 28 equivalent end of the build in lens is this display case (this is direct from the Sony D770 just downsized for posting here).

The case is built in and there is a wall that keeps me from zooming with my feet to take a shot from directly in front of it. One of the things to consider is all the straight lines involved in this case. I am sure there are other instances where something wider would be useful as well. I don’t have the budget for a high end wide angle. I have thought of a modified, or some may refer to it as converted, kit lens but that is not the only thing I would consider.

Comments

• Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    It seems I can't figure out how to get a photo in the middle of a message! I hope you understand what I am trying to show even if the photo doesn't show up until the bottom of the post.
    Jane
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Jane B. wrote:
    It seems I can't figure out how to get a photo in the middle of a message! I hope you understand what I am trying to show even if the photo doesn't show up until the bottom of the post.
    Jane

Jane. if the images are uploaded from your computer, they're always going to show up on the bottom of your post. only way to not have it do that, is to link the photo from a web site or gallery online.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 20, 2006
    Here's a thought....

How about using the widest lens you have, put your camera in vertical format on a tripod, and shoot three of four frames, moving the camera ever so slightly to the right and left, and then merge them as a panoramic???

Cheaper than a new lens and will let you move your camera forward towards the display.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 20, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Here's a thought....

How about using the widest lens you have, put your camera in vertical format on a tripod, and shoot three of four frames, moving the camera ever so slightly to the right and left, and then merge them as a panoramic???

Cheaper than a new lens and will let you move your camera forward towards the display.thumb.gif

Yes, that... and make sure you correct for barrel distortion first as I see you have a lot of it above.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited January 20, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    make sure you correct for barrel distortion first as I see you have a lot of it above.

nod.gifnoticed that too.
    Daniel Bauer

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 20, 2006
    A set of verrtical frame shots merged as a pano should have a lot less of the barrel distortion if the camera is set up with the film plane parallel to the display wall and at a height where the camera is not tilted up or down.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited January 20, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    A set of verrtical frame shots merged as a pano should have a lot less of the barrel distortion if the camera is set up with the film plane parallel to the display wall and at a height where the camera is not tilted up or down.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I can't find it at this point but I did try the pano bit at one point with the Sony. It means doing it other than when I am there for a service as it is in a hallway right outside the sanctuary. I do remember finding it quite time consuming to keep the tripod in line as I moved it over to take the shots. This would still be the case with the Canon D60 as well.

I am wanting a wider lens! Do any of you have suggestions of one with the least distortion without getting into the more expensive lens? How does the kit lens fit into the picture when compared to other of the less expensive lenses of this width? This is just one example of possible uses of one.

Jane
    edited January 21, 2006
    Jane B. wrote:
    I am wanting a wider lens! Do any of you have suggestions of one with the least distortion without getting into the more expensive lens? How does the kit lens fit into the picture when compared to other of the less expensive lenses of this width? This is just one example of possible uses of one.

Jane

give us your idea of "expensive" and we'll be able to help you more... i'm saving up for a 17-40 as my wide angle lensethumb.gif but Tokina has a brilliant 12-24 f/4 that is a must have if you like EXTREME wide angles. very little distortion at 14 toomwink.gif . very good lense and reasonably priced compared to the others in its class.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

edited January 22, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    give us your idea of "expensive" and we'll be able to help you more... i'm saving up for a 17-40 as my wide angle lensethumb.gif but Tokina has a brilliant 12-24 f/4 that is a must have if you like EXTREME wide angles. very little distortion at 14 toomwink.gif . very good lense and reasonably priced compared to the others in its class.thumb.gif

After seeing what some have posted from the "Kit" lens I have been wondering about getting one of those and having it modified for the older body. But, am trying to also find out how much more, if any, I would have to go to get something better by any mfg. with a Canon EOS mount.

Also, keep in mind that the shot posted that shows the distortion is from the Sony D770 NOT the Canon D60.
    Jane
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    I am going to be selling my 17-40L lens. Jane, you probably don't need an L lens, they are the glass lenses that everyone dies for, but certainly not necessary.

The thing is that I am going to be taking a big hit on it, and it is a very good lens. Actually one of my two favorites. At this point I don't have a fast lens, so I am replacing it, at Andy's suggestion, with the much more expensive 16-35L lens. All of these lenses are Canons.

New, at B&H, the 17-40 is $670.00. I was going to ask 570.00, but I don't think I can do that.

Since it is one of my two favorite lenses, it is always on the camera, often swinging from my neck, so it is not, as people say, in mint condition. One can see, if one looks, worn places. Also I do not have a lens cap. Glory to glory, I did find the lens box that it came in.

Because it is not "mint" as far as cosmetics are concerned, I am going to ask 500.00. If there is some way I would not have to take paypal I would appreciate it. This is an excellent price for this lens. The operative word being "lens", I have the back cap which is always on the lens which is in my Crumpler bag when not being used, and I have always had a filter on the front of the lens. It is not beaten up, it has just been "actively loved". Smile.

The lens is in great shape as far as operation is concerned. I have posted many photos in the last week that were taken with that lens.

As a matter of just so one knows, I expect to also be selling my 70-200 f4L lens. I am planning to move up to a 70-200 f 2.8. That lens (the f4) new is 579.00.
    I have not used it as often as the 17-40, and I thought, honestly, that it was pristine, but there are a few scratches, or something. As with the other lens it is also in great shape. I just looked again, and I couldn't see the scratches, but someone else could find them, I am sure. I can't, as of yet, find the box it came in. As with the other one, I have the back thing for the lens, I do not have the lens cover. My dogs eat them (someone asked me once what happened to them. I take them off to take a photo, and they become "meals".)

These would be good deals for someone. They are more than 10 - 20 off retail. I have not settled on a price for the 70-200 yet, but it will be reasonable.

I just thought I would let you wide angle hunters know this ahead of time.
    I can't take payments or trades as I need the money to get the other lenses on my list. But these are excellent lenses with a few cosmetic blemishes that can be picked up cheaper than often happens anywhere.

ginger

When I post it, I will post a photo.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.