Options

What will 20D be replaced by?

VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited January 27, 2006 in Cameras
Im -maybe- going to sell my 350D and get a 20D. But 20D is pretty old and Im sure Canon is working on a updated unit. anyone know anything about it? Please inform me... How often do Canon release cameras, and when? I realy need a new toy, with a 580ex. :-)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    Im -maybe- going to sell my 350D and get a 20D. But 20D is pretty old and Im sure Canon is working on a updated unit. anyone know anything about it? Please inform me... How often do Canon release cameras, and when? I realy need a new toy, with a 580ex. :-)

They surely will release a new camera this year. But there's not much to improve on on the 20D. PMA is only in 5 weeks - if they don't announce something then, don't wait, enjoy the 20D goodness now, IMO deal.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Maybe a "20DN" with picture styles and larger lcd :D
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    I dont agree with Andy. Its alot to improve on the 20D! Fullframe, moremegapixels, less noise at higher iso, can connect to GPS and at last voice stearing. rolleyes1.gif Kidding about the few last ones.

How long time was it between the 10d and 20d?
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Viking wrote:

no one really KNOWS anything for certain. and those who do aint tellin no one. sooo we have speculation.

most likely rumors:
    10*ish* megapixel body,clap.gif
    1.6x crop factor,
    2.5 inch LCD, **canon's recieved some complaints about the 1.8 ones.**
    SOME form of attempted weather proofing.ne_nau.gif *heres hoping*
    *of course* EF-S compatibility
    5-6 fps thumb.gif
    3200 ISO

thats all i have in my knowledge bank...mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    They surely will release a new camera this year. But there's not much to improve on on the 20D. PMA is only in 5 weeks - if they don't announce something then, don't wait, enjoy the 20D goodness now, IMO deal.gif

I suspect they will announce something in the first half of February, if not they could drag it out to Photokina 2006 in the fall. rolleyes1.gif

I am torn, I want them to come out with something super cool, but at the same time I don't, because it might end up costing me money. deal.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    Kidding about the few last ones.

Yes, but your "first ones" are unrealistic. Canon has two full frame cameras. I don't think they'll have a FF camera that's a dumbed-down 5D. Now, 20D with maybe a new 10mpx or 12mpx chip - possible. GPS? Nice. Bigger LCD, picture styles, yeah.

20D high ISO is already superb. Buttery smooth!

See the links in my caption to this shot in the Nikon - Canon Debate:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1134620/1/53205203/Small
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    SOME form of attempted weather proofing.ne_nau.gif *heres hoping*

BAH you can't have it all, Daniel. Pro bodies are weather sealed.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 20, 2006
    I'll bet Daniel hasn't seen your freezer-bag camera cover trick Andy!!:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:

lol3.gif nope, you're right....

show me this "freezer-bag" andyear.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    RPQ 867-5309 Ziplock Camera Cover
    pathfinder wrote:

It started with a minor annoyance on a camera I once used: I was getting annoyed with the neck strap flapping in the breeze when the 828 is mounted on a tripod. and the strap, as it comes out of the box, isn't exactly "quick release." So, for about $2 at my local hardward store I bought two clips and two "o" clips, that when set up this way, will allow me to easily take the strap off and on...

53239713-M.jpg

During a huge rainy period, I came upon a modification to my modification.... it's just a 1gal ziploc bag, with holes in the corners to fit the neckstrap through. when walking in the rain, the entire camera and lens hood stay really dry. To remove the bag for shooting, you simply fold it back and up the straps a bit. BTW with the quick-clip modification to the neckstrap, putting the bag on is quite easy.

I can tell you that this works really well. Cost? Oh i don't know, maybe about a nickel a bag I would say. If you have access to a grommet maker doo-hickey, you could put some grommets in the corners and you'd have a much longer lasting setup - I would guess that with just holes poked in the bag it'll last for a few days of usage, max.

53239736-L.jpg

53239748-L.jpg

So, what's an "RPQ?" I started my professional life at IBM. There, when a customer needed a mod to an existing piece of gear, IBM of course would make the mod, at a price. They then would issue an "RPQ number," RPQ standing for "request for price quote".... I don't know why I thought of this but I did. This rpq is totally free of charge and I will accept as payment only that you share your foul weather shots that you get while using it :D

PS: this RPQ will work equally well with the smaller digicams and P&S cameras, you should use RPQ # 0000001, specifying bag size = "sandwich" ok? deal.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 20, 2006
    I just remembered, I need to replace the 1 gal freezer bag in my backpack.:):

I wish it was as easy to attach the straps for an EOS camera with the quick release snaps like that.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It started with a minor annoyance on a camera I once used: I was getting annoyed with the neck strap flapping in the breeze when the 828 is mounted on a tripod. and the strap, as it comes out of the box, isn't exactly "quick release." So, for about $2 at my local hardward store I bought two clips and two "o" clips, that when set up this way, will allow me to easily take the strap off and on...

i see i seenaughty.gif

very clever indeed. thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    53239736-L.jpg

but really andy.... the black London Fog trench coats are so much cooler looking:cool...maybe when i go to new york *god knows whenrolleyes1.gif * i'll let ya see how much *cooler* black is than grayish bleh:poke

lol3.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Who knows, but ....
    Andy wrote:
    I don't think they'll have a FF camera that's a dumbed-down 5D.
    My guess it that the 5D will continue to be the entry point to the Canon FF/Pro range, with an upspec model (3D?) to follow later in the year, but not yet - there's no need for it at this stage.

From all I've read, next month's announcements in Orlando are likely to focus on a 1.6X 20D replacement/upgrade (a D200 'killer'), with the remote possibility of the rumoured single/converged 1D model also being released at the same time, wouldn't you say? Maybe they will throw in a 390/Rebel XXT just to head off a future D50s.

Nikon makes fine equipment, but unless they have something very special in the works (and all the indications are their R&D budgets and resources have been thoroughly stretched just getting to this point), Canon could have them thoroughly stuffed and mounted by year's-end.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    Canon could have them thoroughly stuffed and mounted by year's-end.

You mean they aren't already? lol3.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I'm nothing if not charitable!
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Adding WI-FI would be a neat feature as well. Also, how about ISO information on the viewfinder? More autofocus points and better autofocus performance would be a plus also.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2006
    erich6 wrote:
    Also, how about ISO information on the viewfinder?

i was just thinking about that today! i hate having to hit a button for ISO and then adjust it while looking down on that screen. how about another button on the camera back for ISO and information on the viewfinder? mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    I think the new replacement camera will have a similar jump in technology from the 10D to the 20D. I expect better high ISO performance, especially 3200, 2.5" LCD screen, but not too much else. Have to remember the 5D has a market share and placing a new camera with too much good stuff will slow sales of the 5D.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    If I were to guess, I would say that the 20D would have:

- 10+ megapixels
    - a few more focus points
    - ISO in viewfinder
    - Maybe 6 fps
    - Improved ISO noise while at 3200
    - Bigger LCD screen
    - slightly improved battery life

This is all gust a guess, though.ne_nau.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    BAH you can't have it all, Daniel. Pro bodies are weather sealed.

And, in other brands lineup withtin the price range of the 20D, the D200 and the E1. I can fully understand real consumer cameras not being weather sealed, since that where they need to cut corners to keep the prices low. But in my opinion, $1500+ cameras could use some weather proofing. That's the one thing I can not understand in the 5D. Not having weather proofing wouldn't keep me from choosing such a camera, but it would be a factor I'd weigh in.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited January 21, 2006
    erich6 wrote:
    Adding WI-FI would be a neat feature as well.

Is this adding a feature for the sake of having one? I think so. Except for
    the guys shooting sports, this is a feature that very few (relative to the
    number of cameras sold) will use. Not to mention it's like working with
    WiFi at home--not very secure.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Something I really need
    Red Bull wrote:
    - 10+ megapixels
    - a few more focus points
    - ISO in viewfinder
    - Maybe 6 fps
    - Improved ISO noise while at 3200
    - Bigger LCD screen
    - slightly improved battery life

These all seem pretty likely, but none of them are really what I'm looking for.

You know what I want, what is unconscionably missing from all of the consumer and prosumer dSLRs despite being commonplace on film SLRs?

Freakin' split viewfinder with microprism ring.

I like autofocus. I didn't think I would, but when it works it is faster and more accurate than I am. But when it doesn't work -- and that's plenty often enough -- trying to get a sharp focus is next to impossible. I don't see any particular reason why my cheap-cheap-cheap Minolta X9 does-absolutely-nothing-for-you body could have these things and my $800 Rebel couldn't, to say nothing of a $1400 20D.

I realize that, on the 20D at least, you can get this aftermarket without giving features up (on the Rebel you have to give up focus point indication in the viewfinder; not that I make much use of anything but the center point, but how do I tell which point is active without those?). But why should I have to pay $100+ for a finicky version of a feature that was de-rigeur on bottom-of-the-line film SLRs and would cost next to nothing to include?

I don't need more pixels. Would take them, but don't need them. I don't need full frame; it'd be nice if my wide-angle lenses were really wide-angle but I really appreciate the cost benefit of the smaller sensor. I don't need more speed than the current generation bodies have; again, I'd take it but I don't need it. I don't need more focus points, I just lock it on the center point anyway because it's a lot faster and more accurate to lock focus and shift frame than to screw around picking a focus point or to let the camera guess what I had in mind. I don't need higher ISO although it'd be useful on occasion. I certainly don't need longer battery life, with a battery pack any one of these things will shoot all day already and even if not it's just not that big a chore to swap batteries every six or eight hours.

But I do need manual focusing aids with some regularity because, often enough, there's not enough light or the subject is too complex for autofocus to work. This is especially the case with APS-size sensors that don't pass a heck of a lot of light. I have totally missed once-in-a-lifetime shots that I couldn't focus properly because I lacked a capability present on my cheapest film body. That is, in my mind, a ridiculous limitation in any SLR body.

You give me a 30D or whatever that has manual focusing aids and nothing else and I'll buy it on the spot. Anything else thrown in on top is just gravy.

It also wouldn't suck if Canon could at least match Nikon's body build quality.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    The rumors I'm hearing is that they'll continue on with the 20D, but build a similarly priced FF body that might not have all the same features as the 20D - could be more along the lines of the XT in features.

Depending on how sales go with an "entry-level"ish priced FF body they could then move to making everything FF in the future.

There was a lot of talk about this buzzing around a few months ago after someone's sister's brother's cousin's former roommate from Canon let loose plans to take the whole line-up FF rolleyes1.gif

In some ways it makes sense.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    That's the one thing I can not understand in the 5D. Not having weather proofing wouldn't keep me from choosing such a camera, but it would be a factor I'd weigh in.

Personally, I think it's overrated. For guys who shoot all the time at the beach, or in the desert, or in the rain/snow, yeah, it makes sense. For an all-rounder, I just make do with Ziplocks, or other after-market gear, and be careful.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    For guys who shoot all the time at the beach, or in the desert, or in the rain/snow, yeah, it makes sense. For an all-rounder, I just make do with Ziplocks, or other after-market gear, and be careful.

True, and that's why it's not a deal breaker to me. But I love for instance to go in Africa on safari, where sand creeps into everything you carry. Having a weathersealed body is an assurance in those circumstances. But before I had a weathersealed body, I had a Sony DSC-F828. And it survived as well. So what do I know?
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    True, and that's why it's not a deal breaker to me. But I love for instance to go in Africa on safari, where sand creeps into everything you carry. Having a weathersealed body is an assurance in those circumstances. But before I had a weathersealed body, I had a Sony DSC-F828. And it survived as well. So what do I know?

15524779-Ti.gif and if one were to afford an African photo-safari, I would bet that one could afford the upgrade to a weather-sealed body deal.gif
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    I dont agree with Andy. Its alot to improve on the 20D! Fullframe, moremegapixels, less noise at higher iso, can connect to GPS ...
    You mean the Canon 5D?

12.8mp (+4.8mp from 20D)
    Fullframe (+0.6x from 20D)
    Less Noise at higher ISO (not much of an improvement, but it's still there)

GPS? Not sure if it can, but you could just take notes.

Therefore, I disagree. Daniel's closer-on with the 10mp, 1.6crop, etc...
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 21, 2006
    I just got a 20D a couple of months ago and I'm delighted with it. I agree with an earlier post that including ISO in the viewfinder display would be a big help. I tweak ISO a lot and it is easy to forget what it's set at. Seems like a small thing to ask.

Given a chance to dream, I would like to see some sort of IS system built into the camera body, so I only have to pay for it once and could take advantage of it with the lenses I already have. And really dreaming it should be implemented as a removable module, so I wouldn't have to put up with the additional weight when I didn't need it.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    afford the upgrade to a weather-sealed body deal.gif

Heck, they're almost giving them away these days, with a nice fast weathersealed walkaround lens that can double as a budget macro included. Prices go down. Functionality goes up. Choices broaden. I am one happy customer, and can't await what PMA and Photokina will bring us this year.