A Few Alaskan Images near Petersburg Alaska April 2018

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
edited May 8, 2018 in Landscapes

While we were waiting to depart on our Alaskan Cruise we had to opportunity to shoot a few frames from an airplane near LeConte Bay, and later, from the boat in Tracy and Endicott Arms. Most of the workshop was dedicated to wildlife, but there are always some nice landscape opportunities in Alaska as well.
70D

70D

5D Mk IV

5DMk IV

Just a few of the views we had over the course of 8 or 9 days on the water

if you are interested in what the view out of the windscreen of the plane looked like flying in the glacier field, far below the surrounding mountain peaks, I offer this image

For my final image I will submit an edited frame of those reflections in the mirror surface we saw so infrequently...

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I always like reflections; the third image is my favorite of this set.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

These are gorgeous! Number 3 is my favorite for sure.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Despite 10 full days on the water, I'll bet the total time we had absolutely flat water for reflections like in #3 was less than 2 hours or so. #3 was shot way up in Tracy Arm, I believe, less than a 1/2 mile from the glacier's face on our way out.

I thought it would make a lovely image when I shot it. I am glad other folks enjoy it as well.

@pathfinder said:
    Despite 10 full days on the water, I'll bet the total time we had absolutely flat water for reflections like in #3 was less than 2 hours or so. #3 was shot way up in Tracy Arm, I believe, less than a 1/2 mile from the glacier's face on our way out.

I thought it would make a lovely image when I shot it. I am glad other folks enjoy it as well.

Number 3 so well composed that I could easily imagine this popping up on the next Apple OS update as the stock desktop image. Fabulous work.

Thanks JB, I actually spent some time trying to figure a way to diminish the symmetry, but finally went with what you see.....The surface of the water was just so very mirror like

@pathfinder said:
    Thanks JB, I actually spent some time trying to figure a way to diminish the symmetry, but finally went with what you see.....The surface of the water was just so very mirror like

I understand trying to change it up to a less textbook type image. I try to do this with my architectural shoots, as well. But now and again, there's a wall that just needs to be shot squarely, and works perfectly. Ahhh, the troubles of an artist brain!

You mentioned desktops and I realized I hadn't included the image that is my current desktop from this trip

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

@pathfinder said:

Good grief. what's not to like? It's a perfect poster shot. Awesome set, Jim.

@pathfinder said:
    You mentioned desktops and I realized I hadn't included the image that is my current desktop from this trip

Dude...gorgeous capture! Love the depth in this one.

• Nick2000AUNick2000AU Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins

Fantastic pictures. I will be in Alaska soon and I hope I will make nice pictures like Yours

• cendrinemediacendrinemedia Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins

Wow, wow, wow!!!

Cendrine Marrouat
    Nature, B&W and closeup photography: https://www.cendrinemedia.com

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Love the last one Jim! Cheers!

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Beautiful! Great place, great work.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

I love craggy mountains, so these capture my heart. There is something so young and fresh in your images.

Winners, all! (Really)

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums