Image stabilizer

1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited January 21, 2006 in Cameras
Hi,

Will you link me to a thread describing the how's and why's of image stabilizers? My search came up blank.

Thanks,

AndyW

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    I'll try to help.

IS (VR on the Nikon System, OS on Sigma Lenses) is a system that uses gyros to stabilize the image, counteracting minute traces of camera shake. Especially useful for longer teles. IS, in my experience, allows me to shoot at 3 or 4 stops better than without. IOW, I can go to 1/10th of second, handheld, and still get a sharp shot. IS *will not* help you freeze a moving subject. But indoors, say, shooting a still subject, you can gain tremendous benefit. Many shooters use IS lenses outdoors, in bright light, shooting moving subjects, too - sports guys, with a 400mm f/2.8 IS, will be able to still handhold and get sharp shots - so IS is beneficial at higher shutter speeds, too.

Some camera makers are building IS into their bodies, another new development.

I hope this helps!

Oh also, click in the navbar, "Search>advanced search" then type in like below. Be sure to click "posts" not threads - lots to read about here on dgrin thumb.gif
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Some camera makers are building IS into their bodies, another new development.

yeah, but then again KM just pulled out of the game didnt theymwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,176 moderator
    edited January 21, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    yeah, but then again KM just pulled out of the game didnt theymwink.gif

Yes - and no.

Sony now has all of KM's assets, patents and other intellectual material, so no, that technology will (probably) be continued, enhanced, and rebranded in a Sony dSLR(s). More should be announced in about 40 days or less. mwink.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,176 moderator
    edited January 21, 2006
    Here's a fun resource about how they work
    http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/room/f_index.html

Great site to look around in. I spent over an hour there a few weeks back.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    That's a very interesting site. Thank you.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.