too good to be true?

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins

i have seen some items on Amzon about half of what others offer the same item for. They include these instruction:

Cöntäct us priör tö ördëring~ WEISSJUS3@G M A I L , C0M

should I be concerned?

here is one example https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-135mm-Lens-Canon-240954/dp/B06XPTYXS6/ref=sr_1_1?m=A373D28BDDC7ZR&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1530567596&sr=1-1&keywords=Sigma+135mm+f/1.8+DG+HSM+Art+Lens+for+Canon+EF+(240954)

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

I don't buy serious photographic equipment from Amazon.

I buy from, and recommend, ...

The above are real brick and mortar stores, who also sell on the Internet. They are licensed dealers for Canon and Nikon, and some other brands. (You can call each of them to obtain their vendor list.) They also provide excellent service, before and after the sale.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

The link you included is now showing "currently unavailable" and the vendor is not listed. Amazon works with third parties, and I'm guessing this was from one of them. They may or may not be reliable. I bought a 24-105 f4/L from one of them that way at a substantial discount and it worked out just fine, but you should try to investigate first. Things that are too good to be true usually aren't, so read all the fine print and be wary.

• adidasalcantaraadidasalcantara Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Hello, fellow photographers. Eric Alcantara from Honolulu! I too was curious about these posts (mine a 7D Mii for $500) and while I have actually seen the body this low on Amazon before, saw them that low again Monday the 2nd. In fact, 3 bodies were listed by this party! Like Josh mentioned, there were specific instructions to email before purchase and suddenly all the posts were taken down.

In fact, I signed up on this forum JUST so I could share my experience with this suspicious seller. In short, fellas, I would suggest you not buy from here. I smelled a rat from the beginning and know now my intuition was correct. I will post the correspondence between weissjus3@gmail.com and I.

Eric: whats the shutter count on these bodies? aloha, eric

weissjus3@gmail.com: Hello,

I will explain in this email all terms and condition of product and transaction.
    The Canon EOS 7D Mark II Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) is BRAND NEW, never used, ( US model, not grey market or refurbished), but Amazon does not let us list it as new. The product is Sealed in its original box and comes with full Warranty, receipt, all manufacturer supplied accessories...
    The total price is $500.00 including all shipping taxes if you are in US and for international shipping you have to pay extra 29,99 $ (outside US) .
    If you want to buy, send me your phone number, full name, shipping address and I will contact Amazon asap to process your order. Dispatch is by normal UPS Services, which takes 1-3 days depending on where in the US you are.
    My return policy is full money back in 30 days.

For more information don't hesitate to contact us!

Thank You

Eric: but the listings are gone?

weissjus3@gmail.com: Hello,

Price is low because:

1) Is last model in my store.
    2) Was exposed in my store in the show case.

Condition is a 10/10. Box Opened Only. All Manufacturer Supplied Accessories Included. Excellent Condition. Full manufacturer's warranty; Buy With Confidence

This deal will go through Amazon Platform and A to Z Guarantee Program.

To set up our transaction I need the follow info:
    Full Name:
    Shipping Address:
    City / Postal Code:
    Product:
    Quantity:
    Phone Number :

99% order ships out same day or next business day GUARANTEED! Customer Satisfaction GUARANTEED!

I will immediately send the required data, Amazon will contact you to order, details about payment and shipping. in maximum 5 days you will receive product.
    Waiting your reply ASAP!

If anyone has any positive experiences with this seller, please share. For now, my Spidey senses are telling me to stay away.
  • thedudeabides01thedudeabides01 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2018
    Hey John. I think it is to good to be true. He sent me the exact same message, and asked that I pay with a scanned image of a gift card.

Hello,

Price is low because:

1) Is last model in my store.
    2) Was exposed in my store in the show case.

Condition is a 10/10. Box Opened Only. All Manufacturer Supplied Accessories Included. Excellent Condition. Full manufacturer's warranty; Buy With Confidence

This deal will go through Amazon Platform and A to Z Guarantee Program.

To set up our transaction I need the follow info:
    Full Name:
    Shipping Address:
    City / Postal Code:
    Product:
    Quantity:
    Phone Number :

99% order ships out same day or next business day GUARANTEED! Customer Satisfaction GUARANTEED!

I will immediately send the required data, Amazon will contact you to order, details about payment and shipping. in maximum 5 days you will receive product.
    Waiting your reply ASAP!
  • mwiedlinmwiedlin Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    I can tell you that the WEISSJUS3@gmail.com is a fraud. I stupidly ordered a Sony Lens through this scammer. He asks to contact him off of amazon through his email address which is spoofed so Amazon security does not recognize it. He requires payment by Amazon gift card and gives you a bogus amazon website to enter the gift card numbers. This happened on July 5, 2018. I corresponded several times before the transaction and always got a quick response. Now that the gift cards were issued, he's disappeared. I've notified Amazon and the FBI. If you're not purchasing directly at the amazon.com site, you have no protection. Seems obvious, hard to believe I could make that mistake, but I did it.