Options

Backup of site

derfderf Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins

Is there any way I can back up entire site for offline use? There was a program that could do it in the past but has not worked for years. This is something I could really use

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator

I haven't seen a full site backup option, but SmugMug apps in both the Google Play Store and the App Store for iOS devices include this feature:

Save your galleries to your device for offline viewing when you find yourself in a no-interwebs part of the planet…whether that’s the Amazon jungle or the right side of your couch in your San Francisco apartment.

Here's a link to the store entries:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snapwood.smugfolio&hl=en_US
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smugmug/id364894061?mt=8

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:
    I haven't seen a full site backup option, but SmugMug apps in both the Google Play Store and the App Store for iOS devices include this feature:

I think Derf is referring to the SmugWallet app - it was the first app I purchased when I got an iPhone years ago, and it worked really well - eventually, the developer disappeared, so it stopped getting updates, but I continued to use it until recently, although it had some quirky behavior. With the latest API changes, SW no longer logs on to my SM site, and therefore can't update for new photos I've loaded.

The problem with the official SmugMug app (which I've had for quite a while as well) is how it downloads images. With SmugWallet, it was easy to select "sync all galleries" or include/exclude specific galleries, then let the app go find new photos with one click whenever you wanted to update it. Unless I've missed something, with the SM app, you have to go to each gallery, select "make available offline" and let it download. It's much more cumbersome to use that way, especially when you have over a hundred galleries on your site. It would be nice if SM made their app operate more like SW.