Some abstract black & white

kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

It's been a while since I posted, but I'm still enthusiastically shooting, processing and learning!

The following are more or less recent shots I took with abstract & black white in mind. As always, C&C more than welcome:

1. Twin Stairs in Graz, Austria (a rather famously photographed spot)

1. Separations

1. Half self, half void

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2018

Nice set. My favorite, I have a penchant for blur and weird shots..., is of course 3, however, I think it is to bright. I would try to darken it a bit lowering the exposure, adding contrast, blacks, reducing highlights or some combination that works for you. Great shot, love it. Maybe a square crop?

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Nice! I prefer the first and second shots, although I think both could use some highlight detail.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Great! First one and third one are superb

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Thanks for taking the time to view and your feedback, @Juano @Cornflake and @Stumblebum - much appreciated!

Actually, the blown out highlights and overall bright/overexposed look in the third shot was intentional. However, I tried your recommendations and yes, they work! Especially the 1:1 crop for the third one, I do like it much better since it removes some unnecessary distractions from the top of the scene. About the brightness/highlights, I'm not quite convinced :-)

For the first one, indeed it is much better with some of the highlights not so much blown out.

Here are the re-edits:

What do you think?

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Both are improved. I especially like the stairs :+1:

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Really like the square crop of the original 3!!

Very nice, I also like your choice of processing.

Thanks for your feedback and the help for improvement, guys :-) Glad you like it!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins

The last one , That holds my Interest , Abstracts are not just , Hey look a random picture , they actually have a structure , and a balance. Now unlike images that we know what they are , those known images become the focus and can hide flaws . Now when the viewer looks at an abstract , something strange happens , the viewers eyes are taken for a ride , they move along lines , tones become groves , dark areas guiding the viewers eyes. Curves and patterns , and then you have this lovely image that just seems to jar ones whole little mind. Its in half , but still my eyes want to run along the curves , those curves seem to throw me towards the back of the photo the lines pushing me upwards , and then down again. Only one small think that I would do to this image . Have a look at the horizontal lines on the left and the right hand side , I would crop off that thickish line on the right , just so it can create some more symmetry. Hey I am not OCD , but i love abstracts like this , one can devour them for a long time. Those little "stones" .. Perfect and we see a repeat of the dots on the right hand wall.. You planned this all didnt you ...LOL

@mongoose330 Thank you for the thoughtful commentary, Paul. After letting that run through my brain for a while, I do agree with you completely on the subject of abstract imaginery and its properties, or what it is that defines an abstract type of image. Although this kind of art is not that much my cup of coffee, I'll try and experiment some further. And while I planned for a few things in the picture, the "stones" (actually I think these are water droplets) and repetitive dots were not among them - in fact, I didn't even notice them while shooting ;-)

Cheers to Cape Town,
    Can