Options

Smugmug-Forum Image Sharing Suggestions

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited October 2, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I took a quick trip to NH and took some photos at an ADVrider gathering, now at a friends house and I am writing up a ride report on dial up. I have come up with a few suggestions to make the photo sharing better or add some options.

Include a thumbnail with the sharing page so we can tell which photo we are linking to if we are using multiple windows/tabs.

Offer a bulk share feature. I envision it to contain the "message forums - inline images" part of the share feature. It could work by showing a slightly larger thumbnail (150 dpi long side?) on the left and image size/links on the right, using 2-3 inches per image. It could either display a set quantity per page or an entire gallery. I think it would make linking to images much easier and faster, the things that smugmug does best, it could do even better.

I suggest this from using the linking features from my galleries with many images and find that I feel I waste a lot of time going back and forth and searching through tabs, opening in new windows, etc. I could see how this would be intimidating to a noob and turn them away from using the service.

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited September 13, 2004
    Great ideas, Patch. We were just talking about what we could do over the weekend and your post made me feel like, of course.

We'll see what we can do.

btw, we're just about to go live with quite a few new bulk tools like really easy bulk rotate.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Great ideas, Patch. We were just talking about what we could do over the weekend and your post made me feel like, of course.

We'll see what we can do.

btw, we're just about to go live with quite a few new bulk tools like really easy bulk rotate.

Glad to help, hope it is easy enough to implement. It would be great to post ride reports much faster.

Thankfully almost all of my cameras currently auto-rotate. I don't miss those days of rotating. It should help a lot of users. thumb.gif
  • Options
    photo_momphoto_mom Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2006
    Was this ever done?
    Glad I searched. Knew this idea had to have been proposed before. Just curious if the 'share multiple photos' link was ever put into existance anywhere. Posting multiple photos from a gallery to a forum thread is a slow process - having to flip back and forth between the gallery and the link page.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    photo_mom wrote:
    Glad I searched. Knew this idea had to have been proposed before. Just curious if the 'share multiple photos' link was ever put into existance anywhere. Posting multiple photos from a gallery to a forum thread is a slow process - having to flip back and forth between the gallery and the link page.
    Hi mom, thanks for posting :D

I hear that our engineers might be working on some new share features - stay tuned thumb.gif
  • Options
    photo_momphoto_mom Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi mom, thanks for posting :D

I hear that our engineers might be working on some new share features - stay tuned thumb.gif
    Thank you, Andy! New share features are something to look forward to using and I can't wait!clap.gif
  • Options
    DonColoradoDonColorado Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins

I upload full size digital files to my galleries. With some clients I want to be able to share images with them in a smaller file size so they may use in Facebook or on website. These are often events with 100+ images, so the smaller file size really helps the speed of downloads. Is there a process within SmugMug that I can provide a link to a gallery, but reduce the size of the image that is downloaded for my clients convenience?