Options

Preparing Files for Printing - 'Bleed/Trim'

rjwilnerrjwilner Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
New to SM and not entirely sure this is the appropriate forum for this question as it's really as much a question for fellow users rather than anything being 'broken'. So if an admin feels it's not, feel free to move it.

Being new, and with intents (more like hopes :) ), of selling some prints down the road, I've been poking around the Help Center for info related to optimizing files with that eventuality in mind. And came across an article in HelpCenter\SellingPrints\PreparingYourFiles entitled 'Bleed/trim margin for prints'. And I would be curious to know how many users actually are adding space as recommended in that article?

I understand the concept discussed and the rationale for it. I ask primarily out of curiousity to learn how many users are actually doing it. For my own needs, I think it would be extremely rare any of my images would be subject to any of the 5 likely scenarios mentioned in the 'Should I worry' portion of the article.

Anything anyone would care to share on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

Thanks for the feedback. Our help article sounds like it might be adding more confusion than it helps. For the most part, I wouldn't worry about bleeds/trims, especially depending on what type of materials you're printing on. The labs do a pretty great job, at this point, of being able to nearly print edge-to-edge of the photo.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    rjwilnerrjwilner Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    Thanks for the reply. I had kinda thought that might be the case. But since someone must have thought it a big enough 'thing' to write an article about it, I thought I should ask. Gracias!