SD versus MicroSD+adapter

mikestrockmikestrock Washington StatePosts: 8Registered Users Big grins
Curious if anyone has good or bad experiences of micro-sd cards with adapters in cameras requiring an SD card. Seems like micro-SD cards are a bit less expensive.

I usually use SD cards, but for an upcoming trip am looking at getting some more cards and wondering what people's thoughts are on the subject.

Thanks.

Mike.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Posts: 19,962Super Moderators moderator

I use micro-SD for computer-computer transfers, but not in cameras. Micro-SD in an adapter means another set of contacts to keep clean, or it's twice as likely to get a bad connection to interfere with file storage. For personal transfers I can generally afford to take the chance.

In the field, when you change the card, it's also much easier to misplace a micro-SD card (when outside of the adapter) than an SD card. For personal projects that could be an inconvenience. (Yes, that's happened to me.) For paying work, that could be a disaster.

My suggestion is simple; for your own stuff the extra risks associated with micro-SD card in an SD adapter is probably justified. For paying jobs, I don't think that the potential cost savings justify the risks.

In your particular case of a trip, you need to weigh the risk vs reward. For a once-in-a-lifetime trip I would not recommend the additional risk, but for a non-photo-centric trip I don't see any problem. Perhaps use a full-sized SD card for important stuff, and use a micro-SD card in an adapter just for fun stuff and experiments. That way you mitigate the risk while providing an opportunity for choice.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mikestrockmikestrock Washington StatePosts: 8Registered Users Big grins
    Understood and I completely agree. The cost savings aren't worth the risk. Thanks Ziggy53.

Mike.