Does the aperture change??

Mike AMike A Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited January 21, 2006 in Cameras
My question is, when putting a standard lens on a digital body the focal length is changed. Is the aperture changed at all also? My next lens is going to but a good ole reliable 50mm f1.8. What would this change to when mounted on a d50? 70mm ish??
Mike A.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Mike A wrote:
    My question is, when putting a standard lens on a digital body the focal length is changed. Is the aperture changed at all also? My next lens is going to but a good ole reliable 50mm f1.8. What would this change to when mounted on a d50? 70mm ish??

The aperture stays the same. 1.8 is 1.8 is 1.8

The field of view crop, is 1.5 on the Nikons. So your 50mm acts like a 75mm lens, in terms of field of view.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    Mike,

Neither the focal length nor the aperture actually changes. What changes in most digital cameras is the size of the frame relative to 35 mm film. Because the frame is smaller the angle-of-view is reduced and the crop you get on a scene is *equivalent* to what happens if you had a longer focal length.

Erich
  • Mike AMike A Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    75mm will be a bit long. Do you guys have any opinions of the 35mm f2?
    Mike A.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 21, 2006
    The Canon 35 f2.0 is well regarded and is said to have very lovely bokeh. Photodo.com rates it a 3.9 and the Canon 35mm f1.4 L a 4.

You can find their information here - http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin