Getting Into Portrait Photography.

b08rsab08rsa Major grinsAmelia, OHPosts: 204Registered Users Major grins
edited October 23, 2018 in People

I have been away from this forum for a long time. I have recently getting the hankering to get back into photography. A few years ago, I used to shoot sports as a serious hobby. Now that my daughter no longer plays sports, I have moved on to shooting landscape, and now trying my hand a portrait.
Here is one of my first shots. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Regards,
Ron A.

Sony A-77 MII, Sony 50mm f/1.8 DT Alpha A-Mount, Sony 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DT Alpha A-Mount Telephoto Zoom Lens

Comments

• KellyCKellyC Major grins Posts: 127Registered Users Major grins
    edited October 24, 2018

Watch the glare in the glasses. The bra strap in the second one. I will let others chime in on the rest.

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul low down bum Posts: 1,617Registered Users Major grins

I'm not a people shooter, but the 'mantra' that I generally try to have in mind and essentially sums up my approach was seen in this forum* some time ago.

Light
    Background
    Composition
    Pose

For me, the background is way too busy in both shots - ie an 'eye pull'

pp

• by Zoomer.
  • b08rsab08rsa Major grins Amelia, OHPosts: 204Registered Users Major grins

@KellyC said:
    Watch the glare in the glasses. The bra strap in the second one. I will let others chime in on the rest.

Good Catch on the bra strap. I completely overlooked it.

Sony A-77 MII, Sony 50mm f/1.8 DT Alpha A-Mount, Sony 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DT Alpha A-Mount Telephoto Zoom Lens
  • b08rsab08rsa Major grins Amelia, OHPosts: 204Registered Users Major grins

@puzzledpaul said:
    I'm not a people shooter, but the 'mantra' that I generally try to have in mind and essentially sums up my approach was seen in this forum* some time ago.

Light
    Background
    Composition
    Pose

For me, the background is way too busy in both shots - ie an 'eye pull'

pp

• by Zoomer.

Thank you for the insight.