Options

How do I stabilize a shaky timelapse?

DetlefSchuuschDetlefSchuusch Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
Hello,
this is my first post to this forum, so I hope I have posted this in the right place:

I did a timelapse during a boat ride on the Huangpu river when I visited Shanghai earlier this year. When I had put it together on my computer I noticed that some parts seem "shaky" because the boat was moving up and down from the waves. I've tried stabilizing the video with Premiere Pro's Warp Stabilizer but that didnt have the effect I wanted. The problem is, that there isnt any reference point visible throughout the the video that one could use to align the images. I'd like the video to be smooth without the "bumps" and still keep the framerate at 25fps. Do you know of anything I could do stabilize the video?

For a preview of the video please search for the video "shanghai timelapse shaky" on vimeo or enter "vimeo.com" in your browser and add /299234655 in the end
(unfortunately I'm not allowed to post links yet; sorry for the inconvenience and the bad quality of the video, my pc is quite bad)

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,795 moderator
    edited November 8, 2018

I use and like "proDAD Mercalli" and that might help your video, but it looks like you also have uneven horizontal speeds that it would not remove any better than what you have tried.

If you want to spend a few evenings (probably close to a week for your first try) manually correcting the video it might be possible to correct it yourself, but I don't recommend it unless you have the time to kill and some advanced video editing experience and capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lVgcO-GwTc

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    DetlefSchuuschDetlefSchuusch Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Thank you for your reply! I'll give that a try!