Book Review: Earth From Above

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited December 30, 2006 in Technique
This is the place to discuss the book, the review and the photographer of Earth From Above.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    This is the place to discuss the book, the review and the photographer of Earth From Above.

I got the chance to see some of these big in London - and then my dear wife got me the book for Christmas - fantastic work. Highly recommended!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    I've seen a number of these photos elsewhere. Fascinating work. Thanks for the review and the links. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    Absolutely stunning. Nice website. I'm going to have to look up this book. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Erich
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Hey gang,

Just wanted to let you know that I got this book for Christmas and I absolutely love it. I'd been eyeing it for a while at the bookstore and my wonderful wife took note of it and got it for me.

I have to say the book is better than I thought it already was. I had browsed the images before but now I'm having a chance to go through all the text and it is a great source of information about the difficulties in maintaining our planet healthy while continuing to advance the human race. It's quite a read!

The only issues I have with the book are: 1) the pictures are laid out across the binding so the images are never fully contiguous; and 2) the large format photographs are cropped at the bottom by about 5% of the length of the image (I can tell by comparison to the thumbnails). Despite these shortcomings the book is great and I highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Erich
  • El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    This is one of my favourite books ever. I've been lucky enough to see the exhibition 3 times now since both it and I travel a lot in Europe, and it's fantastic. The photos look amazing blown up big. The writing is really interesting too. My only complaint is that since the photos are mostly landscape orientation across two pages, sometimes the crease in the book obscures some of the detail.

Inspirational stuff.

Edit: apologies, just saw that Erich made exactly the same comment I did about the binding - read the above as "what he said".
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius