Bosque del Apache

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited December 1, 2018 in Wildlife

Hi all. I just returned from my first outing to Bosque del Apache in New Mexico. For those that don't know, this refuge gets tens of thousands of migratory Sandhill Cranes and Snow Geese from November through March. It was freezing in the mornings (18 F on a couple of days), but the lighting was spectacular and I can't believe I haven't been there before. On the first evening, I made the mistake of using AF-S (I didn't check to see if my camera was set to AF-S or AF-C) and as a result, a majority of my shots were blurred. I tried panning too and got some good shots. If you haven't been to Bosque, now is the time to go. It's just incredible and I can't wait to return. Thanks for looking.

And here is one of an incredibly beautiful sunrise at Bosque.

Cheers,

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 1, 2018

Wow!

The third image with the light coming through the wings is spectacular.
    I also really like the last image, no birds in the sky but the light is amazing!

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:
    Wow!

The third image with the light coming through the wings is spectacular.
    I also really like the last image, no birds in the sky but the light is amazing!

Thanks much Denise. I do like the third one too. I got lucky with the timing and the fact that the shot came out sharp. :smile:

Cheers,

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Some sweet shots! Last one is great landscape!

@Stumblebum said:
    Some sweet shots! Last one is great landscape!

Thank you - it was such a fun trip.

Nikhil

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Great shot, Nikhil! I agree with Denise, that #3 is really special.

Good to see you back. I haven't been to Bosque in years. Love that place.

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins

Nice shooting. #3 is really superb. A different take from Bosque.

edited December 5, 2018

@kdog said:
    Great shot, Nikhil! I agree with Denise, that #3 is really special.

Good to see you back. I haven't been to Bosque in years. Love that place.

Hey Joel - long time. :D How have you been? Any fun shoots of late? This was my first time at Bosque and doing BIF. The first day was a disaster. I set my focus to AF-S and couldn't figure out why all my photos were soft and OOF. Then I checked some YouTube videos and blogs back in the hotel at night and realized my mistake. By the second day I was getting the hang of it. I agree with you - LOVE that place and can't wait to go back. I narrowly avoided the throngs of workshops that take over in December. I believe they have a number of workshops and it can get really crowded. Maybe I will go in January sometime (catch the mist etc.). :smiley:

@Mitchell said:
    Nice shooting. #3 is really superb. A different take from Bosque.

Thanks Mitch - got lucky with the light that day. :smile:

Cheers,

@shniks said:
    Hey Joel - long time. :D How have you been? Any fun shoots of late? This was my first time at Bosque and doing BIF. The first day was a disaster. I set my focus to AF-S and couldn't figure out why all my photos were soft and OOF. Then I checked some YouTube videos and blogs back in the hotel at night and realized my mistake. By the second day I was getting the hang of it. I agree with you - LOVE that place and can't wait to go back. I narrowly avoided the throngs of workshops that take over in December. I believe they have a number of workshops and it can get really crowded. Maybe I will go in January sometime (catch the mist etc.). :smiley:

I had to Google AF-S. In Canon world that's called single-shot. And no, that won't work at all, LOL. Glad you got it sorted out though. Those slow-shutter pans are excellent.

It's been ages since we've last communicated. Maybe I've been to Africa again since then, mid-2017. Not much otherwise save for some local stuff. Too many family and business commitments. You know how it goes. Although, I'm actually leaving tomorrow for a quick trip to Patagonia. Don't tell anyone. :smile:

@kdog said:

I had to Google AF-S. In Canon world that's called single-shot. And no, that won't work at all, LOL. Glad you got it sorted out though. Those slow-shutter pans are excellent.

It's been ages since we've last communicated. Maybe I've been to Africa again since then, mid-2017. Not much otherwise save for some local stuff. Too many family and business commitments. You know how it goes. Although, I'm actually leaving tomorrow for a quick trip to Patagonia. Don't tell anyone. :smile:

Oh wow! Have fun in Patagonia - so jealous and can't wait to see your photos. I am also off to the Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Zanzibar on Friday. :p

Cheers,

@shniks said:

Oh wow! Have fun in Patagonia - so jealous and can't wait to see your photos. I am also off to the Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Zanzibar on Friday. :p

Amazing! That's almost what I did in 2017 -- Ngorongoro, Serengeti, and Rwanda (gorillas). I have a few snaps here if you want to see. https://www.desertilluminations.com/Travel/Africa-2017/
    (I never did get around to posting the rest of my photos from that trip for some reason.)

Have a great time!!

@kdog said:

Amazing! That's almost what I did in 2017 -- Ngorongoro, Serengeti, and Rwanda (gorillas). I have a few snaps here if you want to see. https://www.desertilluminations.com/Travel/Africa-2017/
    (I never did get around to posting the rest of my photos from that trip for some reason.)

Have a great time!!

That first panning shot in your gallery is awesome - giving me some ideas too. :D Thanks again and look forward to your shots from Patagonia.

Cheers,

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Great set with the light of Bosque at its grandest!

Very well captured, I must make plans to go back next December!!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin