Options

Broken Camera

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 14, 2004 in Accessories
My camera is broken, put it on another thread, is going back to Canon to be looked at and fixed.

I am sick, wanted to share, but didn't want to interrupt an active thread. No camera, just got CS and no camera!

The man said it would only take a couple of weeks, I am sick!

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2004
    What happened to it?I would go nuts for 2 weeks without my camera.
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    oh I had a moment that made my heart stopp while on vacation.

My wife had taken the camera out on the boat. When I got it back from her, she said nothing, just gave it to me, it was not acting right. It seemed to be closing down the apature while I was focusing/metering shots. I could not figure out what was going on. So I started to take it apart. When the lens came off WATER started dripping out of the mount.

Water, in my D-Rebel, I about died.

I took everything apart, left all the doors open and let it sit for 24 hours... it seems to be fine now, but I about died when that water was dripping out. It was a lot of water too.

sigh.
  • Options
    Did you buy it at a local store? I know you haven't had it that long, wont they exchange it for you?

Or give you a "loaner" till it comes back?
  • Options
    Bryan wrote:
    oh I had a moment that made my heart stopp while on vacation.

My wife had taken the camera out on the boat. When I got it back from her, she said nothing, just gave it to me, it was not acting right. It seemed to be closing down the apature while I was focusing/metering shots. I could not figure out what was going on. So I started to take it apart. When the lens came off WATER started dripping out of the mount.

Water, in my D-Rebel, I about died.

I took everything apart, left all the doors open and let it sit for 24 hours... it seems to be fine now, but I about died when that water was dripping out. It was a lot of water too.

sigh.
    My wife would have probably stayed on the boat rather than see me FREAK OUT when water dripped out of my camera.
  • Options
    all of the manual AV, TV, Manual settings are all messed up. Was going to go out and shoot the rain and people on the Isle of Palms, I noticed I could not get the ISO, then I could not get the WB. The timer thing totally does not work.

At first I could not even get the menu. (I did not take it out so that water was dripping out. I have done that with my hearing aids years ago, used a hair dryer, that is standard with hearing aids.)

It acted a little better in that I could get the menu when I plugged in the remote...............sometimes I could get it.

I called Canon, finally after reading the manual several times times ten, trying everything, etc. The man told me some things to do, nothing worked, so he said to ship it to............ and I couldn't understand him. So I asked him to e-mail me the address.

I haven't received the e-mail, but we do have the phone number of where we were supposed to ship it. My husband wanted to make sure everything was OK.

Oh, I did try changing lenses, batteries, and CF cards, nothing made a difference, so it has to be in the camera.
    If anything terrible is wrong with that camera...............

I am going nuts already. I have a Canon Elph, one of the early ones, and I could charge the batteries for it, I think. However, 2.3 megapixels, or whatever it is. It was fine until I had the Rebel. Now I have the Rebel, or I did, just got PS CS, and have ordered a 1 gb card.

ginger
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2004
    Hope your camera is OK, ginger. Keeping my fingers crossed ...
  • Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    ginger_55 wrote:
    all of the manual AV, TV, Manual settings are all messed up. Was going to go out and shoot the rain and people on the Isle of Palms, I noticed I could not get the ISO, then I could not get the WB. The timer thing totally does not work.

At first I could not even get the menu. (I did not take it out so that water was dripping out. I have done that with my hearing aids years ago, used a hair dryer, that is standard with hearing aids.)

It acted a little better in that I could get the menu when I plugged in the remote...............sometimes I could get it.

I called Canon, finally after reading the manual several times times ten, trying everything, etc. The man told me some things to do, nothing worked, so he said to ship it to............ and I couldn't understand him. So I asked him to e-mail me the address.

I haven't received the e-mail, but we do have the phone number of where we were supposed to ship it. My husband wanted to make sure everything was OK.

Oh, I did try changing lenses, batteries, and CF cards, nothing made a difference, so it has to be in the camera.
    If anything terrible is wrong with that camera...............

I am going nuts already. I have a Canon Elph, one of the early ones, and I could charge the batteries for it, I think. However, 2.3 megapixels, or whatever it is. It was fine until I had the Rebel. Now I have the Rebel, or I did, just got PS CS, and have ordered a 1 gb card.

ginger
    can you do a hard reset on it????
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    Ginger I'm so sorry to hear about your camera.. don't stop taking shots.. use your elf for now... I took some great shots with my elf last year.. It can be done.
    I wonder what happened to it.:cry
  • Options
    ysr612 wrote:
    can you do a hard reset on it????
    I don't know what a hard reset is. I cleared all settings to the default. I followed the technicians instructions.

I will say this, I think I would be an idiot not to send it in while it is under warranty. (Thanks to Lynn making me go find that disc with the RAW conversion stuff on it, I do have the receipt)

It has been a bit difficult, just the "buttons" not working well from the time I got it. Sometimes I would get "nothing", then I would get something soon enough that I could forget about it. Everytime that happened, there was a niggling suspician that the camera was a little defective, but I did not want to send it back. I was in denial, in other words. Now that those same things are not working at all, I think I have to have them look at it and make it right.

Also the TV setting stopped working right sometime about a week ago. See I was not using those manual settings, or creative settings, whatever they want to call them. The TV setting constantly showed very bad photos, terribly overexposed. I thought I was doing something wrong and switched to the AV setting.

Any denial I could use not to have to part with one of the more important parts of my life, actually not as important as a person, but my whole current lifestyle. I did not want to deal with it. But now that it has come and hit me in the face, I think I would be an idiot not to deal with it. I wish I had when I first got it and couldn't get the ISO to work easily, and the WB. It is not the buttons, they work for up and down.

Anyway, I am so glad Lynn had me get that box. I bought everything piece meal, and I didn't really even know where to start looking for a receipt.
    Out of desperation, I thought of that box, looked in it and there was the invoice from B & H. Dated and all.

I have to copy it so my husband can pick it up. I just realized I am not sending them the original.

I got out my Canon Elph, it is a 3.2 megapixel.......... don't know if it will be good for much. I certainly cannot use it to take the shots I was going to. I have some shots for this Challenge, but I don't really know when I am going to get this camera back. When it rains, it pours and I mean that quite literally. (I only have two batteries for the Canon Elph, I had three, but I have lost one, that is minor in the scheme of this "personal" disaster.) I am charging the two I have now.

I am sick, that is all I can repeat over and over. Then again, I did find the receipt...................but I am still sick.

(I have a funny story, kind of, about water and my hearing aids, but decided I would wait to tell it. The real lesson on that is that twice a hair dryer has saved my hearing aids from ruin, once after I was thrown in a pool. The other time I was in a boat and my son "drove" it in such a way I was swamped. By the time I got through yelling and whining I am sure he wished that anyone else was his mother. I was thoroughly scared. The hair dryer, remember hair dryers........important info.) Not at the highest setting, they are hotter now than they were in the eighties.

ginger