Options

Florida Wildlife

MoonMan04MoonMan04 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins

I've finally made it back to Florida from Montana. I went out the other day just outside my backyard in Orlando where I grew up, Shingle Creek for you locals, and captured the usual; wetland birds, turtles, and otters! I know of a few spots, but does anyone else have a favorite location around Central Florida that they would like to share? If so, please do and thanks! Anyways, Here are a few shots I captured yesterday:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

Kyle C. Moon
Portfolio: Moonman.Photography

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 13, 2018

I love your low point of view! Are you using a viewfinder, or a right angle finder, or an adjustable LCD screen to focus and compose your water level ( or ground level ) shots?

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins

As an issue of taste, I'd like to see the ones in the shade warmed up a bit.

• Options

@pathfinder said:
    I love your low point of view! Are you using a viewfinder, or a right angle finder, or an adjustable LCD screen to focus and compose your water level ( or ground level ) shots?

Thanks! Yeah, so for all the otter shots I got down to knee level and shot it there from the viewfinder. The otter was about 10-20 ft minus picture #4; that image was captured further.

Kyle C. Moon

• Options

@joshhuntnm said:
    As an issue of taste, I'd like to see the ones in the shade warmed up a bit.

Yeah, I wish I had a little more light in there, but hey sometimes you gotta work with what you got. I haven't even thought about warming it up. I'll play with that idea in Lightroom...thanks!

Kyle C. Moon

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins

Great that you were able to get so close to the otters - I've no idea what the environment / circumstances are, but if you re-visit this site, are there locations that allow you to get closer to water / ground level?

pp

• Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 737 Major grins

I really like the dark surroundings of #5 with the sun reflecting from the eye. The low sun adds just enough light to the face. I've seen alligator shots composed like this, but never an otter.

~~Barbara
  • Options

@puzzledpaul said:
    Great that you were able to get so close to the otters - I've no idea what the environment / circumstances are, but if you re-visit this site, are there locations that allow you to get closer to water / ground level?

pp

It's Orlando so they're used to people haha The trail is simply a berm which many people jog and bike on while viewing the marshlands. Where these otters swim are directly beside the berm. I've often seen them cross the berm to get to the other side, but I've spotted most of them by listening to them crunch on mussels or fish they caught in the cattails.

Kyle C. Moon

• Options

@bfluegie said:
    I really like the dark surroundings of #5 with the sun reflecting from the eye. The low sun adds just enough light to the face. I've seen alligator shots composed like this, but never an otter.

Yeah, I was hoping to have a little more light for the other half of its face, but hey, what are you gonna do?! haha

Kyle C. Moon

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins

Nice work on the otters. I find their oily fur can be quite challenging to catch accurate focus.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wonderful shots! Yeah, #5 is great!

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Nice shooting there, Kyle. This is a very enjoyable set. Love the otters.

• Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

Very nice set. #5 is my fave. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,