Options

Show Larger Picture Sizes?

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins

Hi - When I started my original site here 10+ years ago, big monitors weren't really around, let alone 4k sized displays. At the time I restricted almost all of my pics to 2X /1.2Mpix in size for my smugmug galleries. With a redesign of my site, this is now become a problem with many people having 4k+ resolution monitors. When I look at my older pics on screen, it's grainy and quality is horrible because they are not allowed to show at their 100% original size. I was thinking of flipping the switch and changing all galleries to show pics in original size. I'm orienting my site more to a business model and it looks a bit unprofessional when visitors see low res, unsharp photos.

On the other hand, setting them all to original size possibly increases the chance of people taking full resolution screenshots to avoid paying for a print. Thoughts? Or perhaps I could set it to the 'TV/Computer' size which is basically 4k resolution. Or go slightly smaller to X3?

Not really sure where to put this on the forums, so it's here :smile:

Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator

Personally, I would never give anybody the opportunity to heist full resolution photos, which ends up in their browser cache after viewing them. Serious photo stealers wouldn't do screen grabs. There are a few slightly smaller sizes to offer up if you are worried about allowing full res. being available to everyone.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins

@David_S85 said:
    Personally, I would never give anybody the opportunity to heist full resolution photos, which ends up in their browser cache after viewing them. Serious photo stealers wouldn't do screen grabs. There are a few slightly smaller sizes to offer up if you are worried about allowing full res. being available to everyone.

At least for the home page image rotation upon each refresh/visit, I'd like to have 4k resolution photos for big monitors. I could add a watermark to these, or the whole site. Then leave all the galleries at a lower resolution. Thoughts?

Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com