A winter evening at the dike

kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited January 6, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

So it has been a couple of very busy months for me, and unfortunately I couldn't shoot as much as I wanted to. My significant other and I decided to spend some days at the German north sea coast over the new year days, and (among some rough and stormy days) were gifted with two very beautiful days and some even more beautiful sunsets. While wandering at the shore line below the dike, I had the idea of some minimalist sillouette scenes from subjects on top of the dike. Here they are, hope you like them! Oh, and a happy new year everyone too!

1. A bench and a trash bin.

1. My girlfriend waving down to me, dressed for the cold weather like an eskimo

1. A woman walking with (or being walked by) her dogs.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Comments

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

I like all of these but the last is my favorite.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Nice shots! I love #1, but, if it were mine, I would chop about a third or half of the black section on the bottom, great tones.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Great set! Superb vision!

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2019

Lovely silhouettes

These are kind of centered and I agree with Cristóbal that some of the bottoms should be cropped.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I too was thinking about the size of the black negative space, but then I also thought it provides some nice, large and heavy contrast to the tones of the sky. I was thinking in a different direction tho: About cropping from the skies, to have sky and dike meet in the center of the images and then add a white border around them. I will play around with crops when I finished my other sets from that excursion and let you know about the outcome!

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

A very nice set. I agree with Cristóbal, regarding the first image. I do think the negative space works in the second image, because it is closer to being centered. The 3rd image for me, would work better if the woman and dogs were entering the image, and not exiting.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

@roaddog52 said:

A very nice set. I agree with Cristóbal, regarding the first image. I do think the negative space works in the second image, because it is closer to being centered. The 3rd image for me, would work better if the woman and dogs were entering the image, and not exiting.

Thanks Phil, I wish the woman and dogs would be entering as well. Unfortunately, I came a little too late and I certainly wanted the sun that already went below the dike on the picture as well. I have two, three other frames where the three are placed differently, but it does not have sun in it.

As by popular suggestion, here is a crop of the bench picture:

I agree, it works better. But the idea behind the 3 original pictures I posted was to put them together in a row (in the order posted, with spacing between) on a poster print and have the division between sky and black negative space lined up. That way, the woman & dogs would actually exit the frame but might seem to enter the frame to the left. I'll try if that will work out, even if the proportions/sizes of the subjects and the sky colors don't match.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

I like the rework and I understand your original plan, I think a triptych will look cool and for sure the width of the black area has to be the same between shots. I'd like to see it!