Options

Super Blood Moon Eclipse. January 20, 2019

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
edited February 5, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

I wanted to see the eclipse in January, and even though it could be seen from Indiana, I was rather concerned it might be occluded by cloud cover, so my spouse and I made a road trip to Denver to visit her brother - he found a lovely site to work from about 50 miles east of Denver, and that is where we spent the evening of January 20. Shooting was made a bit complicated because the moon was almost directly overhead, and this made manual focusing more of a challenge - just put your camera on a tripod, aim it vertical ( about 2 feet off the ground) , and then try and peer though the viewfinder in the dark in 20ºF with a 12 mph breeze to help keep you from overheating. I did manage to get a few frames that I am satisfied with

Anyone else have some photos of the eclipse they would like to post?

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Lovely set Jim! The first one rocks for me! I still have not seen a blood moon. Had a chance this time.....slept!

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator

Great pics, Jim. I wanted to go out there, but it was 3 degrees! Glad you got to capture it so clearly.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator

Thanks guys. It wasn't as cold as it was in the mid west, that's for sure. I was still impressed by how much the exposure changes from sunlit to shade during the eclipse, and I didn't fully expect AF to cease working then, although I should have. It was fun.

Now I will wait for the solar eclipse in 2024? Totality will come through my backyard or very nearby.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Holy details in that last frame!!! All are beautiful captures, thank you for sharing.