Building Boats

WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

Two 50+ foot wooden-hull sailboats under construction at Brooklin Boat Yard. This is an extreme wide view (15mm-e) causing perspective distortion, both boats are similar in size but different designs.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I like these a lot - maybe because in another life I would have worked in a boat yard in Maine.

I used to read every issue of Wooden Boat, and once I discovered the miracle created by joining wood and epoxy, I have been totally hooked.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2019

@pathfinder said:
    I like these a lot - maybe because in another life I would have worked in a boat yard in Maine.

I used to read every issue of Wooden Boat, and once I discovered the miracle created by joining wood and epoxy, I have been totally hooked.

Thank you. Wooden Boat Magazine and boat building school are our neighbors. The Brooklin Boat Yard is the largest wooden boat builder in the area and there are 5 or 6 other wooden boat builders in the town. It sounds like you might like it here. :)

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Super cool captures. I like the photojournalistic style, and the B&W makes it pop!

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Nice images. I especially like the last two that show the workers. The second one shows a worker but he is farther away and the other two are more like portraiture in a unique setting.

I know nothing about boats but would certainly enjoy seeing the woodworking in progress. A bit of a drive from Boothbay but maybe someday . . .

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

@redleash said:
    Nice images. I especially like the last two that show the workers. The second one shows a worker but he is farther away and the other two are more like portraiture in a unique setting.

I know nothing about boats but would certainly enjoy seeing the woodworking in progress. A bit of a drive from Boothbay but maybe someday . . .

Take a class in building wooden boats at the Wooden Boat School here in Brooklin and you can get all the pictures you want. You can stay in their dorm, their campground, or come in your own boat and stay at a mooring.

Thank you for your comments.