Steph

stephcha@nmsu.edustephcha@nmsu.edu Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited January 23, 2006 in People
I did this a few weeks ago for a good friend of mine. Gimme some feedback

Comments

• AngelaAngela Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    I like the angle and the composition. Not really qualified to comment on anything else!:):
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    Gotta work on the post-processing more - this is underexposed. You can bring it out easily enough:

This was a minor curves adjustment with the white dropper, followed by a gradient mask. About 8 seconds. Then a Shadow / Highlight adjustment, another 8 seconds..

Holler if you need/want more explanations :D
  • stephcha@nmsu.edustephcha@nmsu.edu Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Gotta work on the post-processing more - this is underexposed. You can bring it out easily enough:

This was a minor curves adjustment with the white dropper, followed by a gradient mask. About 8 seconds. Then a Shadow / Highlight adjustment, another 8 seconds..

Holler if you need/want more explanations :D

Yeah if you could explain a little more on some of your post production that would be great. White dropper and gradient mask? I have mac and have PSCS1
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    Yeah if you could explain a little more on some of your post production that would be great. White dropper and gradient mask? I have mac and have PSCS1

Well, I'm no Andy, but here goes:

The white dropper you get in the curves dialog.

Here's what you would do:

make an adjustment layer (Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Curves). click the eyedropper that's filled with white, and then click on the brightest part of the sweater. This makes the overall image better, but blows out the sweater. Then click on the mask of that layer, select the gradient tool, and make a soft grad going from black to white. The white allows the curves adjustment to show, the black doesn't, and will bring the sweater back.

You don't have shadow/highlights in CS (only CS2), so what I would do is go back to the curves (double click on the existing adjustment layer curve) and tweak the line to add more contrast while also lifting her a bit out of shadow. You want to add contrast to the interesting part of the shot--her and specifically, her face.

Look, there's a million ways to do this, Andy knocked out one. I hope that's enough of an explanation, it's hard to know how much of a step by step you need...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • stephcha@nmsu.edustephcha@nmsu.edu Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    No, now i totally understand. I am i guess average in photoshop. mostly self taught.... I know there are 20 ways to do one thing in PS.

Thanks for the help

steve
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Gimme some feedback
    Your attached image looks great, but it's too small to appreciate fully what you've achieved and to comment further. Can you please link directly to a 'large' JPEG?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Your attached image looks great, but it's too small to appreciate fully what you've achieved and to comment further. Can you please link directly to a 'large' JPEG?

Dub, not everyone has web hosting space, nor do they always know how to do it.

Stephcha, if you want to learn how to post a pic on dgrin from your website, you can click the link in my sig, or check the faq above in the navbar :D

Oh and there's a tute here that shows how, from a SmugMug page, to embed:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138

it's still applicable if you don't use SmugMug.

Cheers!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, I'm no Andy, but here goes:

The white dropper you get in the curves dialog.

Here's what you would do:

make an adjustment layer (Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Curves). click the eyedropper that's filled with white, and then click on the brightest part of the sweater. This makes the overall image better, but blows out the sweater. Then click on the mask of that layer, select the gradient tool, and make a soft grad going from black to white. The white allows the curves adjustment to show, the black doesn't, and will bring the sweater back.

You don't have shadow/highlights in CS (only CS2), so what I would do is go back to the curves (double click on the existing adjustment layer curve) and tweak the line to add more contrast while also lifting her a bit out of shadow. You want to add contrast to the interesting part of the shot--her and specifically, her face.

Look, there's a million ways to do this, Andy knocked out one. I hope that's enough of an explanation, it's hard to know how much of a step by step you need...

thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Hi, stephcha@nmsu.edu
    Wow, I liked you photo & love how Andy worked it in PS.
    I think that the PS work made the model stand even out more.
    I need to try that my self.

Take Care,
    Chuck
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com