Options

Who's In??? A True Adapter To Run Arca-Swiss Clamps On A Gitzo Ball Head

The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins

Hello Everyone,

It's been a long time since I have been around these parts. However, I am here today to test the waters?

Looking for a show of hands. Who would be interested in a true adapter that would allow you to remove the Gitzo Quick Release Clamp from your Gitzo Ball Head (as seen in the photo below) and allow you the flexibility to run nearly any Arca-Swiss Style Quick Release Clamp on the market with a countersunk mounting hole with a through bolt??

Projected Price: $20-$25
Build Material: CNC'd 6061-T6 Solid Aluminum Billet
Finish: Bare or Hard Anodized Black
Compatible Ball Head: Gitzo Ball Heads with the triangle 3 screw mounting configuration.
Compatible Plate Specs: Most any plate using a countersunk 1/4-20 or M6 Flat Head Machine Screw passing through an unthreaded hole*.
Compatible Plate Brands: Really Right Stuff (RRS), ProMediaGear, 3 Legged Thing, Kirk, ArcaTech, SunwayFoto, Kessler and more...
Adapter Mount Threading: The Adapter will be tapped 1/4-20.
Adapter Mount Threading (Optional): *Arca Swiss Plates that are threaded 1/4-20 themselves would work with the use of a 1/4-20 stud instead of machine screw.

Notes: This would be a machined part that would attach directly to the top of the Gitzo Ball Head Stem once the original quick release clamp was completely removed. Once the adapter is installed you would be able to mount any Arca-Swiss Style Quick Release Clamp from just about anyone on the market using a 1/4-20 Flat Head Socket Machine Screw (This should also work with most clamps mounted with a M6 Flat Head Socket Machine Screw, by discarding the M6 and using an included 1/4-20 Screw)
Notes: This is not just a spring clamp shim as currently on the market, this replaces the gitzo clamp completely.

If there is a solid show of hands say at least 50 parts, I will would move this to KickStarter. Don't worry, there would be an Early Bird Special Posted Here. This wouldn't be a long project so the timeline would be short with the parts shipping quickly. The more interest, the cheaper the parts get, the better the kickstarter early bird prices! So Share this far and wide. If you know someone who might be interested, share the link to this post. I am all ears if you have requests, comments, or suggestions!

I'M IN.... Now What..... JUST REPLY WITH:
1. "I'M IM"
2. BARE or ANODIZED (Finish Choice)
3. QUANTITY (How Many Do You Want?)
4. Gitzo Ball Head Model Number You Have (Typically Found On Bottom)
5. The Arca Swiss Plate BRAND/MODEL You Plan To Use. (You're on your own here)

Prototype Images Will Be Up Shortly......

1. The Mechanic
  2. Your Name Could Be Here....

All images, designs and prototypes in this post copyrighted and protected under US intellectual property laws.