Options

CS w Shem Creek help and

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 14, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
decisons needed. As you all know, my camera is going in for repairs. I just put CS on my computer. Shem Creek seems my best bet, I have been trying to get pink in the sky ever since Steve did. With the CS, I used basically the Curves, with settings from Kelby's book, and shadow/highlights. I have three versions here, lighter than I would have chosen before. Please critique. Let me know which you like, if you think I should do something, please let me know kind of what. I am new to CS. I did buy it, but cut rate, so I have no video or instructions and only a few of my books address CS, glad some do.

ginger

8538185-L.jpg

I decided on this one for Shem Creek from the ones I had up, but I don't know if the darker green cast on the Challenge site is better?

I am going to try to post my wedding shot and the house, here. Not to confuse, I am only posting one here, the one with the photographer.

8540222-L.jpg

I like my wedding shots, too. If they would be accepted as after dark, I would submit one of the two I will post. They were after dark, I go by my watch. They were taken at a place in Mt Pleasant, on the Cooper River, it rents out for occasions, this must have rented for a wedding. Since I love shots of photograpers, and her before and after shots, I sat there and took them, just after dark, the grounds and house are lit up for the occasion.

I also like a photo I took of the house, a replacement for one that burned down. It reminds me of most of my life, outside looking in. What else are we as photographers.
This is the original, only USM.

8540220-L.jpg

g
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2004
    Ginger, I've been studying these...
    I've always liked the creek shot. If you could soften the lights and get some of the red out it might be better. If you could make the water more blue it might be better, but maybe it would look artificial. I'm sure the water is green. If you could select just the sky, then just the water and try to make the changes selectively? I don't know really. I do like the shot lighter than the one you put up on the challenge. I'm not sure which version that is.

The bride and the photographer shot has been growing on me. It's after dark even if the grounds are lit up. The dark background indicates it is after dark. What I really like about it is the expression on the bride's face. Actually, all three of them look very intente on what ever shot they are going after.

I like the lights on this version of the house. You got the yellow/orange out of the lights and it looks wonderful. The people show up very clearly here too. If the bride and groom were down on the lawn, it would be perfect.

Oh, would that we were painters, not photographers. :D

ginger_55 wrote:
    decisons needed. As you all know, my camera is going in for repairs. I just put CS on my computer. Shem Creek seems my best bet, I have been trying to get pink in the sky ever since Steve did. With the CS, I used basically the Curves, with settings from Kelby's book, and shadow/highlights. I have three versions here, lighter than I would have chosen before. Please critique. Let me know which you like, if you think I should do something, please let me know kind of what. I am new to CS. I did buy it, but cut rate, so I have no video or instructions and only a few of my books address CS, glad some do.

ginger

8538185-S.jpg

I decided on this one for Shem Creek from the ones I had up, but I don't know if the darker green cast on the Challenge site is better?

8540222-S.jpg

This is the original, only USM.

8540220-S.jpg

g
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    Thanks, Snappy. Do you mean that I should get more of the yellow out of that house, on the second floor. I always like yellow from the outside, it to me shows that I am outside and they are inside with their tungsten lights. However, it might just be a picture I like from my experiences, being a loner and hard of hearing, etc. Also, I came in awefully tight on it. It does remind me of backdrops at the ballet, particularly the Nutcracker. So I love it, but I am afraid it is not a "wow".

The bride, that is a shot I really like, actually my favorite........ remember I like to tell stories and show behind the scenes and stuff. I love the expression on the bride's face, too.

I have shot two after wedding, before photography (and during and after) brides. They all look MISERABLE. I have not seen one bride look happy then. Not coming and not going, smile. Interesting.........

Shem Creek is a problem, and it is the only one I would want a print of. I mean I like the bride best, but I would like a print of Shem Creek and I will probably get one, but way down the road. I certainly don't have any money now. If I tone down the red and the yellow, then the comments are that it doesn't "pop". The current one is as blue as I would want the water, bluer and it would look very artificial, this is bluer than any others I have liked. Maybe I will work on toning down those reflections, the red one in particular, on the left, a bit. I need and like the reflections, that is real, is real night (and that is an advantage, there can be no mistaking this shot for before "after dark")

I have so many versions of this shot, I am into creative naming. Actually, the ones I have up now. I don't know exactly which ones they areheadscratch.gif . I am starting to keep notes for myself, deleting them on smugMug, however they are all over, and I never did get them all off of smugmug. I will tone the left side, in particular the bright red reflection and put it up.

Thanks, ginger (I am waiting for Bill to come home and get the copy of the invoice, so that I can personally take the battery and CF card out of the camera that he has with him. He is great at mailing things, because he does it for the company he works with all the time, coincidentally cameras.)
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Snappy. Do you mean that I should get more of the yellow out of that house, on the second floor.

The bride, that is a shot I really like, actually my favorite........ remember I like to tell stories and show behind the scenes and stuff. I love the expression on the bride's face, too.

I have shot two after wedding, before photography (and during and after) brides. They all look MISERABLE. I have not seen one bride look happy then. Not coming and not going, smile. Interesting.........

Shem Creek is a problem, and it is the only one I would want a print of. I mean I like the bride best, but I would like a print of Shem Creek and I will probably get one, but way down the road. I certainly don't have any money now. If I tone down the red and the yellow, then the comments are that it doesn't "pop". The current one is as blue as I would want the water, bluer and it would look very artificial, this is bluer than any others I have liked. Maybe I will work on toning down those reflections, the red one in particular, on the left, a bit. I need and like the reflections, that is real, is real night (and that is an advantage, there can be no mistaking this shot for before "after dark")

Ginger,
    No, don't change the light on the house. It looks beautiful. It's a nice picture, but it needs a real point of interest. It needs a couple on the lawn.
    The only lights that seem too orange are the ones on the Shem Creek photo. I like the sparkle and sharpness of the very first pictures, but it just needs to be a little lighter and the lighted signs toned down so that they don't distract. The reflections in the water could be toned down a little to match. But, don't lose the sparkle. It's a tall order, I know. I would try to keep the picture as close to the original as possible, don't overdo it. I would try using curves on the sky selectively to get the blue.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    Shem Creek
    This is the version I would want framed. I made 10 or 11 more copies, some of them photoshop, etc. I saved changes as I went along so that I could come back to them in case I messed up. Towards the end, I thought I was there..............Elements does this drop shadow. So I switched to Elements and framed two versions, one a bit toned down, a bit darker. I am not sure which one this is, but I looked at it on Smugmug and thought, this is the one I would want. "Pop" is good, but I would look at my frame then at the photo and I would think, I could not stand that much brightness on my wall, so I picked this one.

Snappy, I brought it over here to put it on the Challenge, but I put it here, since you had posted. Funny that you were posting as I was finishing. I still could change my mind, but I am through for this minute, :D g
    8547940-L.jpg
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    I haven't really been following along much for a while, so I just saw this, Ginger. I am really taken by the house shot, I love it and I'm not sure why. I think you've just captured an emotion that strike a chord with me. I just love it.

As for Shem Creek, you know it's very good. But the version I see here strikes me as really heavily processed. I liked the old softer version better, even before the color correction, which I also liked. I think it had more atmosphere. Just my $.02...