Options

Cup Fungus: Tarzetta sp cupularis/catinus group

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins

My wife found this growing on the surface of the peaty compost of a potted plant recently purchased from a major plant nursery, such that its "locality" cannot be stated with any real meaning. The pot was 9cm square and the plant had leaves all the way down the stem, to touching the compost. Getting a clear view was problematic and lighting a nightmare! I did not want to remove the fruiting bodies to a better place because I have no idea if they were yet mature. So, single flash, held alongside the barrel of the lens was the best I could do.

The fruiting bodies were up to 12mm diameter, +/- sessile, with no clear stalk. They look very much like [i]Tarzetta cupularis[/i] but have no trace of a veil:

https://www.mushroomexpert.com/tarzetta_cupularis.html

[i]T. catinus [/i] is similar but has a stalk. It seems that the taxonomy of the genus is confused. Anyway it is a pretty species.

The stereos are crosseye.

Olympus EM-1 (manual mode), Olympus 4/3 x2 TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, f11, 1:1, single TTL RC flash hand-held.

Olympus EM-1 (manual mode), Leitz Wetzlar Photar 25mm f2.5 macro at f8, single TTL RC flash, hand-held with support. The extension was only the 50mm cone adapter FOV 5mm wide.

Harold