EOS R vs Nikon z6

2»

Comments

• sara505sara505 Major grins Posts: 1,683Registered Users Major grins

For context, the Irish pub sessions I frequent are not as much performances as they are open gatherings of musicians, and since I am also playing in these sessions, I have a front row seat with great photo opps.
    That lens looks great, but for now I have to muddle along with my original lenses. Sure is tempting though.
    Oh, that's funny - I also have that same wagon, in red - and I also happen to drive a Dodge Caravan. "I'm giving up photography." I love it.

• pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaPosts: 14,485Super Moderators moderator

I just found this the other day even though I have NOT seen any annoucements about it - but this image came from B&H's site so it seems accurate. Apparently Canon is going to offer an EOS R body set up with internal Hydrogen
    filters for astrophotography - the EOS Ra

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Posts: 21,460Super Moderators moderator
    edited December 3, 2019

@pathfinder said:
    I just found this the other day even though I have NOT seen any annoucements about it - but this image came from B&H's site so it seems accurate. Apparently Canon is going to offer an EOS R body set up with internal Hydrogen
    filters for astrophotography - the EOS Ra

Previously Canon produced the 20Da and 60Da models with a band-pass filter in the hydrogen-alpha wavelength (656nm). Currently, the EOS 60Da is listed as "Unavailable", so the mirrorless EOS Ra should be a welcome addition.

Expected retail price should be around $2500USD.

Canon EOS Ra

Modified Filter for Enhanced Night Sky Recording

Positioned in front of the CMOS imaging sensor, The EOS Ra's infrared-cutting filter is modified to permit approximately 4x as much transmission of hydrogen alpha rays at the 656nm wavelength, vs. standard EOS R cameras. This allows for a higher transmission of deep red infrared rays emitted by nebulae, without requiring any other specialized optics or accessories.

The EOS Ra is a dedicated camera for astrophotography subjects, and is not recommended for everyday photographic use.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaPosts: 14,485Super Moderators moderator
    edited December 8, 2019

The EOS Ra is now listed for sale on Canon's website

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/list/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras

And there is a new firmware update v 1.6 for the EOS R body on the same Canon site. I have used this site and updated both my and my wife's EOS R bodies to v1.6 uneventfully in the usual Canon update manner, a fir. file on a card. They do state to set the camera body in P mode, for the update.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-rp?subtab=downloads-firmware

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin