EOS R vs Nikon z6

2»

Comments

• sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins

For context, the Irish pub sessions I frequent are not as much performances as they are open gatherings of musicians, and since I am also playing in these sessions, I have a front row seat with great photo opps.
    That lens looks great, but for now I have to muddle along with my original lenses. Sure is tempting though.
    Oh, that's funny - I also have that same wagon, in red - and I also happen to drive a Dodge Caravan. "I'm giving up photography." I love it.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I just found this the other day even though I have NOT seen any annoucements about it - but this image came from B&H's site so it seems accurate. Apparently Canon is going to offer an EOS R body set up with internal Hydrogen
    filters for astrophotography - the EOS Ra

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited December 3, 2019

@pathfinder said:
    I just found this the other day even though I have NOT seen any annoucements about it - but this image came from B&H's site so it seems accurate. Apparently Canon is going to offer an EOS R body set up with internal Hydrogen
    filters for astrophotography - the EOS Ra

Previously Canon produced the 20Da and 60Da models with a band-pass filter in the hydrogen-alpha wavelength (656nm). Currently, the EOS 60Da is listed as "Unavailable", so the mirrorless EOS Ra should be a welcome addition.

Expected retail price should be around $2500USD.

Canon EOS Ra

Modified Filter for Enhanced Night Sky Recording

Positioned in front of the CMOS imaging sensor, The EOS Ra's infrared-cutting filter is modified to permit approximately 4x as much transmission of hydrogen alpha rays at the 656nm wavelength, vs. standard EOS R cameras. This allows for a higher transmission of deep red infrared rays emitted by nebulae, without requiring any other specialized optics or accessories.

The EOS Ra is a dedicated camera for astrophotography subjects, and is not recommended for everyday photographic use.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited December 8, 2019

The EOS Ra is now listed for sale on Canon's website

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/list/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras

And there is a new firmware update v 1.6 for the EOS R body on the same Canon site. I have used this site and updated both my and my wife's EOS R bodies to v1.6 uneventfully in the usual Canon update manner, a fir. file on a card. They do state to set the camera body in P mode, for the update.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-rp?subtab=downloads-firmware

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • compasiune11compasiune11 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins

Great images. I think the decision is also related to the lens that you own. If you have expensive lenses I think I will be difficult to change camera system.

Fotograf Nunta | Fotograf Brasov
    Canon 5DIV | Canon EF 35 f1.4 L II | Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II | Canon 70-200 f2.8 L II IS | Canon 16-35 f4 L IS
  • LoriNagleLoriNagle Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 18, 2020
    Hello...I feel that I can remain with Nikon and fabricate a pleasant assortment of focal points simpler than group for theie r framework. This is because of L glass versus ordinary. L glass is a fortune contrasted with ordinary glass and the additions today with PC created focal points are not unreasonably incredible by and large. Truly there is a distinction yet most medium estimated focal points are 90% of the nature of L or top of the line focal points. Generally you are paying for speed and metal versus plastics.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited September 16, 2020

@LoriNagle said:
    Hello...I feel that I can remain with Nikon and fabricate a pleasant assortment of focal points simpler than group for theie r framework. This is because of L glass versus ordinary. L glass is a fortune contrasted with ordinary glass and the additions today with PC created focal points are not unreasonably incredible by and large. Truly there is a distinction yet most medium estimated focal points are 90% of the nature of L or top of the line focal points. Generally you are paying for speed and metal versus plastics.

Canon "L" series lenses do command a relatively heavy price, but generally they are justified with better edge-to-edge sharpness at larger apertures than either the "enthusiast" or "consumer" lenses. They also tend to have more durable bodies, faster focus acquisition and better environmental sealing. Many times also better light flare control, better bokeh, better color characteristics and better contrast overall.

On the other hand, many of the enthusiast prime Canon lenses are still amazing performers and I often recommend them over and instead of the same focal length "L" primes. (Then again, there is just no suitable substitute for the EF 135mm, f2L, USM. That lens is just pure magic when you need it.)

Software can help toward post-production sharpening and optical lens aberrations, but if you are making money with your images an appropriate Canon "L" can make a visible difference that customers can see.

=====================================================

For Nikon based cameras, Nikkor Gold-band lenses are roughly comparable to Canon "L" lenses, for most of the same reasons as above. (It looks like Nikkor "Z mount", "S" designation is the top tier for Nikon lenses for mirrorless bodies?)

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums