Compact cameras that shoot RAW?

robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
edited August 20, 2008 in Cameras
Is there any recommended compact cameras that shoot in RAW format? I have a Canon SD550 which I like but miss the features of my previous G3. Now I would like to look around for a camera that at least has RAW and manual functions.

The Fujifilm E900 which is about the same size as my old G3 and has RAW access.

Thanks,
Rob
Enjoying photography since 1980.

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Is there any recommended compact cameras that shoot in RAW format? I have a Canon SD550 which I like but miss the features of my previous G3. Now I would like to look around for a camera that at least has RAW and manual functions.

The Fujifilm E900 which is about the same size as my old G3 and has RAW access.

Thanks,
    Rob

why not come to the SLR worl:D
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    A friend just got a Panasonic Lumix that's mighty small and powerful, shoots RAW.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    why not come to the SLR worl:D

I'm looking for something without the hassle of changing lenses and carrying a bag around that's with the SLR.

The Panasonic Lumix sounds interesting, I'll have to check up on that camera.

Thanks,
    Rob
  • aporiaaporia Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Luminous Landscape photographer, Michael Riechamnn, gives it an excellent review. Looks like a great camera with unique wide-angle features in addition to RAW format.
    Tom in Niagara (CAN/US)
    Real Body Integrated Arts
    GMT -5
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    how about a Sony F717 or 828 ??? i think those shoot in RAW too, great cameras ta-bootthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2006
    Is there any recommended compact cameras that shoot in RAW format?

Assuming you really do mean "compact," which many of the suggestions here are not, you might consider the Canon PowerShot S70. I have the S60. Ignore the S80 - Canon removed the RAW feature on the S80 for some inexplicable reason.

It shoots RAW, it has manual aperture and shutter speed, and other manual controls such has spot metering. And because it fits in a pocket (jacket pocket, too big for pants pockets), it's easy to take along in situations where it would not be easy to take a dSLR along. Although if the S60 is any guide, you can't count on good high-ISO performance from this line.

I am not down on dSLRs - I am a happy Rebel XT owner. But I consider them a team: dSLR when it's needed, and Raw P&S for extreme convenience when the dSLR has to stay home. I can't do without either.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    Assuming you really do mean "compact," which many of the suggestions here are not, you might consider the Canon PowerShot S70. I have the S60. Ignore the S80 - Canon removed the RAW feature on the S80 for some inexplicable reason.

It shoots RAW, it has manual aperture and shutter speed, and other manual controls such has spot metering. And because it fits in a pocket (jacket pocket, too big for pants pockets), it's easy to take along in situations where it would not be easy to take a dSLR along. Although if the S60 is any guide, you can't count on good high-ISO performance from this line.

I am not down on dSLRs - I am a happy Rebel XT owner. But I consider them a team: dSLR when it's needed, and Raw P&S for extreme convenience when the dSLR has to stay home. I can't do without either.
    I really like the thought of a P&S that can shoot RAW and has a WA of 28mm equivalent, that's a great camera! With ISO 50, AF from 2004 (I believe P&S AF didn't become decent until '05) and the "drawbacks" of tight apeture at telephoto, and poor WB, ...I could imagine it being a wonderful camera for the slow and methodical landscape photographer who shoots RAW.

I think however, my quest (as a DSLR owner) for the perfect P&S camera goes on. I raised my eyebrow at Kodak's new dual-sensor camera that has a whopping 23mm WA prime lens "doubled up" with a 37-117. You can even use the 23mm WA prime to do a "digital fisheye effect" if I understand correct. But there's so little info on it, a call can't me made in favor or against it...

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited January 24, 2006
    aporia wrote:
    Luminous Landscape photographer, Michael Riechamnn, gives it an excellent review. Looks like a great camera with unique wide-angle features in addition to RAW format.

I'll tell you, I held that camera for less than 5 minutes, but I was mighty impressed by it. If I were to get a p&s it would be tops on my list.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'll tell you, I held that camera for less than 5 minutes, but I was mighty impressed by it. If I were to get a p&s it would be tops on my list.
    I definitely agree with that. I wish we carried panasonic at the store I work at.

It's really a damn shame canon removed RAW from the S80, especially considering how good the camera feels, and the new features (clickwheel on a P&S!!)

The LX-1 is a sound performer though from my limited time with it, and what people are saying about it.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    The F717 IS a great camera, but does not do RAW. The F828 does.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Thanks for the comments.

I don't need anything super compact, but would like to stay within the size of a Canon G3, mid-sized digital camera. I already have a compact Canon SD550 but after shooting RAW with my DSLR I perfer to not go back to JPGs.

Rob
    edited January 24, 2006
    Thanks for the comments.

I don't need anything super compact, but would like to stay within the size of a Canon G3, mid-sized digital camera. I already have a compact Canon SD550 but after shooting RAW with my DSLR I perfer to not go back to JPGs.

Rob

Canon G6 maybe? Share batteries with your dSLR
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited January 24, 2006
    I definitely agree with that. I wish we carried panasonic at the store I work at.
    . . . The LX-1 is a sound performer though from my limited time with it, and what people are saying about it.

Ack, I wish I could find it for a decent price somewhere in the GTA! The specs and pocket size look incredible. I'm going to find a store that carries it in the Niagara region and do the 5 minute hold test.mwink.gif
    Tom in Niagara (CAN/US)
    GMT -5
    edited January 24, 2006
    aporia wrote:
    Ack, I wish I could find it for a decent price somewhere in the GTA! The specs and pocket size look incredible. I'm going to find a store that carries it in the Niagara region and do the 5 minute hold test.mwink.gif

Henrys?
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited January 24, 2006
    The G6 is also a good suggestion if you can find it. B&H lists it for a decent price.
    Henrys?
    Henry's carries the new Panasonic Lumix, so I can hold it. The price they charge is indecent, however, so I won't be holding it long.eek7.gif
    Tom in Niagara (CAN/US)
    GMT -5
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I checked one of these out and I also liked it a lot. Solid construction and feel. The colors are fantastic. Nice Leica lens. The only issue is the excess noise. Definitely an outdoor camera.

Wish Panasonic could get their CCD's improved...it would be an unbeatable package.

Erich
    edited January 25, 2006
    aporia wrote:
    The G6 is also a good suggestion if you can find it. B&H lists it for a decent price.

Henry's carries the new Panasonic Lumix, so I can hold it. The price they charge is indecent, however, so I won't be holding it long.eek7.gif
    '

Priiiiiiiiiiice maaaaaaaaatch.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • George.George. Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    Is there any new updates for the raw shooting compact??
    Is there any new cameras recently released that are shooting good quality raw files now??
    Ricoh?

I am lookikng to update my Canon IXUS 40

Thanks in advance
    edited August 20, 2008
    George. wrote:
    Is there any new cameras recently released that are shooting good quality raw files now??
    Ricoh?

Thanks in advance

Have you seen this thread?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    George. wrote:
    Ricoh?

Thanks in advance

If you're not into hacks check out the following:

Panasonic LX-3 (new!)

Sigma DP-1

Canon G9

The Nikon P6000 is coming but it's getting a bad rap for the restricted RAW format.

Erich