DNG Folder/File Changes to a Picture

DogdotsDogdots Major grinsPosts: 8,762Registered Users Major grins
edited June 1, 2019 in Finishing School

I finally needed a new computer and with that came W10 (previous W7 user). I'm having a heck of a time with the photos I download. All the DNG icons show up when I open the folder I just downloaded to, but in a split second they convert to show the image vs the DNG icon. How do I stop this and just have it show as a DNG icon? Sorting and deleting photos without that is going to be a headache. I'm downloading using Adobe Bridge CC 2019. Odd thing is, I use to have CR2 files - wonder where they went? The photo attached was a quick screen grab as the files were changing from icon to picture.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaPosts: 14,427Super Moderators moderator
    edited June 2, 2019

If I understand what you're saying, the lower part of your image with the DNG icon and its associated jpg files are displayed, but then rapidly change to two identical appearing images , with the same file name, less the DNG or jpg appendix not displaying. Why would anyone want two identical file names without the type of file appendix attached??

It seems like your operating system should offer you the option of displaying the file type in the displayed name, to me.

I drive an Apple, so I am not the one to answer your question, but I suspect this is a preference or a setting that you can adjust somewhere in W10. Have you looked at the file display settings in operating system W10?

Any Windows 10 drivers here that can help Mary. aka Dogdots?

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RichardRichard Mildly bemused Madrid, SpainPosts: 18,909Administrators, Vanilla Admin moderator

Hi Mary,
    If you used to see CR2 files (and haven't changed cameras) then I suspect that a Bridge setting must have been changed to convert to DNG on upload. Windows would not automatically convert CR2 to DNG. Check your Bridge preferences. I'm not sure I understand what we are seeing here: is this the Windows directory right after you have uploaded raw files from your camera but before you do any processing? Is your camera set to Raw+JPG mode? I don't understand where that DNG file is coming from if not from Bridge. I'm also not sure I understand exactly what you want or expect to see at this stage in your processing. What happens if you move files from your camera (or card reader) directly to your computer without using Bridge?

• pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaPosts: 14,427Super Moderators moderator

Yes, I think Richard is correct - this is probably Bridge at work converting CR2s to DNGs.

But it seems like your Operating system ( Windows 10 ) should still distinguish and display different format files - DNGs vs jpgs - with the appropriate suffixes. Shouldn't it?

Can you see these files in a list mode with their text names, rather than a small image icons? Maybe the suffixes are present in a list mode display.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Posts: 21,134Super Moderators moderator
    edited June 7, 2019

I suggest opening the "View" tab and choosing "Detail" (while still in File Explorer). This shows filenames plus information fields relating to those files. You can sort files by file type by clicking on the top of the "Type" field.

In order to make all file suffixes (file type extensions) visible, move to the root of C: drive.
    While still on the View tab in Explorer, select the "Options" on the far right.
    Now select the "View" tab and look for the option, "Hide Extensions for known file types" and deselect (turn off) that entry.
    Now select "Apply" and above click "Apply To Folders", then "OK".

These changes should now apply to all folders and you should always see the file extensions

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Thanks, so much, Ziggy - I thought there was a prefererence issue in the OS about displaying file types - sounds like that is exactly what you're describing. Thanks again!

• ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Posts: 21,134Super Moderators moderator

@pathfinder said:
    Thanks, so much, Ziggy - I thought there was a prefererence issue in the OS about displaying file types - sounds like that is exactly what you're describing. Thanks again!

I hope I got the sequence correct.
    I don't have Win 10 yet myself, but we have a couple Windows 10 computers at my church and I'm kinda the "tech" guy, so I've done this operation a couple of times on those machines.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums