Yellowknife, NWT, Canada

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Yellowknife, NWT, Canada
February 2016

Well a little late to posting these images, daytime job kept getting in the way.

Lady Aurora’s breathtaking display on a chilly (-42F) February night in Canada’s North West Territories (NWT).

Sights and sounds (yes, heard faint, static crackle) of the aurora where amazing.

One of the best nights of aurora displays that I have had the pleasure to witness and to photograph.

Add photographing the aurora, in winter, in the NWT to your bucket list!!

Comments

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Spectacular! Bucket list updated as suggested.

~~Barbara
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Wowzers! I missed this when you posted it. You were so fortunate to have seen such a wonderful display.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Wow--just wow!

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated!!

I have traveled now five time above the arctic circle to Alaska, Norway and Canada to photograph the aurora. It has become an addiction, I just love the "hunt" and then when the aurora do appear, the sky lights up and the sights are simply amazing. Pre-planning and logistics are a challenge but, to see the aurora is worth it. I am planning an earlier season (fall vs winter) trip to a Canadian dark sky site, to see if I can photograph the aurora over yet-to-be-frozen lakes. All bodies of water in previous winter trips have been frozen solid. Driving one's SUV, even a rental, out onto the very middle of a lake (a) is an interesting first-time experience; (b) delivers 360 degree viewing and photographing vantage points and (c) really messes with the car's GPS (voice activated response keeps telling me to stop, cease, turn around :) ).

Hope to be able to post new aurora images later this fall when I return. from this trip

Thanks again everyone1

• joseafcjoseafc Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins

Wow. Did you go there as part of an organized tour of was it self-organize?

Nature Photography
    www.wildernesslight.net

@joseafc said:
    Wow. Did you go there as part of an organized tour of was it self-organize?

joseafc....

Thank you for your comment!

To date, I have been to Yellowknife twice. Both times I organized the trip and pulled together all of the logistics. The first trip was in February, two years later I opted for January. Insanely cold but, incredibly wonderful.

For both trips, however, I did identify a local "guide" (a local resident, photographer and aurora enthusiast) who was very knowledgable regarding venues, winter travel on the ice roads across frozen Great Slave Lake and more than happy to spend the entire night, every night, out hunting and photographing the aurora.

As a result of this experience, I have self-organized aurora photography trips to Alaska and Norway. I have also had published a couple articles on photographing the aurora.

It has been super fun and the excitement of seeing the aurora, never gets old.

• BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2019

This is a true jaw-dropping series... I've wanted to see these since I was an 8-year-old building hobby telescopes. These images are as good as I've seen, well, ever! Kudos Mr. Gato!

Add To Bucket List... Check ✔

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Oh my goodness. These are absolutely top-notch aurora photos. Wow, so inspiring!

John and kdog....

Thank you both for your comments. I greatly appreciate them.

I guess i was "bitten" by the aurora bug several years ago and just cannot seem to get enough. After four trips above the Arctic to photograph Lady Aurora, I am planning a return trip to the high Arctic for 2020/2021 (job, family, status of the 401K, will determine exactly when).

While Yellowknife, NWT has been a favorite destination for past trips, I am looking to perhaps head back to Norway (this time Lofoten or Alta). However, Greenland has been a destination I have wanted to tick off the bucket list, so we'll see.

Thank you both again for your comments!

Thank you, John

I appreciate your comment. I can't wait for my next trip "north" to chase more Aurora!!