Of God, Man and Pigeons

kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Stuttgart, GermanyPosts: 227Registered Users Major grins
edited June 22, 2019 in Street and Documentary

Growing old can make you lonely.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Comments

  • toragstorags Major grins Posts: 4,328Registered Users Major grins

    Growing old can make you lonely; that may be true... but he has the pigeons...

    Good shot

    Rags
  • RichardRichard Mildly bemused Madrid, SpainPosts: 18,872Administrators, Vanilla Admin moderator

    Poignant scene. I like the composition a lot, but I wish I could see more facial detail.

  • sarasphotossarasphotos Major grins Augsburg, GermanyPosts: 2,217Registered Users Major grins

    Nice shot and although I'm not sure I need to see more facial detail, I do wish the man "popped" out of the picture a bit more, whether through a crop or playing with light/dark/contrast/shadows or maybe a very slight vignette (and you know I'm not a huge vignette fan!). I really like that you get the sense of scale of the building vs the man and pigeons, so I'd be wary of losing that in a crop.

  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Stuttgart, GermanyPosts: 227Registered Users Major grins

    @torags said:
    Growing old can make you lonely; that may be true... but he has the pigeons...

    Good shot

    I guess it's a mutual relationship between the man and the pigeons. Feed vs. company...

    @Richard said:
    Poignant scene. I like the composition a lot, but I wish I could see more facial detail.

    Unfortunately, I chose to stay a little in distance - one, to capture the whole frame with the cathedral and second, I still feel a little awkward when it comes to capture people up close most of the time. So sorry, no more facial detail :(

    @sarasphotos said:
    Nice shot and although I'm not sure I need to see more facial detail, I do wish the man "popped" out of the picture a bit more, whether through a crop or playing with light/dark/contrast/shadows or maybe a very slight vignette (and you know I'm not a huge vignette fan!). I really like that you get the sense of scale of the building vs the man and pigeons, so I'd be wary of losing that in a crop.

    I chose to raise up the shadows around the man's area a little instead of a vignette. As I tend to often overdo vignetting, I restrained this time from doing one and chose the opposite approach - reverse vignette, if one could say. Result attached. I think it was a good idea!

    Thanks for your feedback, everyone!

    Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

    I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

    My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

  • JuanoJuano Major grins Brasilia, BrazilPosts: 3,619Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 25, 2019

    I like this shot a lot.

    If it where mine I would change the proportions to 16:9 or something around those lines and get the man further to the right, cropping out the two columns. In my opinion, the first version is better, I would add more blacks though.

Sign In or Register to comment.