A Dream Unrealized

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited June 25, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

Some of you may remember these two shots of N.C. mountain property that I posted about a year ago. The first shot looks east while Banner Elk, N.C. lies behind me to the west. The second shot shows Grandfather Mountain....N.C.'s most popular tourist attraction....at the far top right. Man, I thought I had found a place to spend the rest of my life.

The property happened to be part of a 247 acre tract. It was listed for sale at about $4 million bucks. The seller would not consider breaking the piece I wanted out of the rest of the land. I approached two of my good buddies about going in with me on the venture. They would stake a claim to a piece each and we would develop the rest as a high-end community. I dug in and started to determine what exactly we could expect the development costs might run. I expected that the expenses would be high, but possibly manageable. The situation got really complicated, however, when some potential ground contamination issues on part of the property came to light. Reluctantly, my buds and I have decided that the venture exceeds a guage of risk level that we never exceed in ventures like this. I wish it had gone differently, but it is what it is.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Beautiful spot. Ground contamination can wreck a lot of plans, though.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Save me a condo Tom!!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Great spot Tom, you will find another one, I'm sure.

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

It's a lovely spot, indeed. Sorry that your plans didn't come through. I'm sure you'll find something else equally appealing.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Cornflake said:
    Beautiful spot. Ground contamination can wreck a lot of plans, though.

Thanks for looking in, Don. Not being able to pull this deal off really stings. Better to feel the disappointment now than to get embroiled in something that is as nefarious as some issues we would have faced.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited June 26, 2019

@Stumblebum said:
    Save me a condo Tom!!

Geeeze, Taz. You're aiming too low. I had earmarked you for about a 6,000 s.f. home and a five car garage. B)

@Juano said:
    Great spot Tom, you will find another one, I'm sure.

Well, one thing's for certain Cristóbal. I will stay on the hunt.

@Richard said:
    It's a lovely spot, indeed. Sorry that your plans didn't come through. I'm sure you'll find something else equally appealing.

Hey, Richard. I'm just looking for one more strike at glory before I quit this game I play. This deal going south was particularly grating because of my personal aspirations.

Is it hot enough over there to keep you off the streets?

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

@black mamba said:

We did a large shopping this morning which should get us through till next week. High today 99 but by Saturday it should reach 107. It's manageable if you can get everything done by noon and stay by the air conditioner after that.

edited June 26, 2019

@Richard said:

@black mamba said:

We did a large shopping this morning which should get us through till next week. High today 99 but by Saturday it should reach 107. It's manageable if you can get everything done by noon and stay by the air conditioner after that.

That sounds just like our routine here in Florida. We call ourselves the AC KIDS. If we can't go from one AC to another, then we just don't go. Take care.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

"High today 99 but by Saturday it should reach 107. It's manageable if you can get everything done by noon and stay by the air conditioner after that." Are you sure you don't live in Phoenix? :)