Options

Xanthoria parietina & Physcia adscendens

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins

This was my fourth visit to Decoy Heath reserves in as many weeks. I had been looking out for lichens, while photographing other subjects and thought that my lack of attention had failed to find many. So the priorities this time included lichens.

Having seen the list of recorded specie, I was convinced that I could find and add two to it.I have seen lots of the two species in association on twigs and minor branches of old trees, including very extensive populations on old apple trees and willows in our garden.

OK, I was photographing other subjects, but I did a lot of walking around the tree bordering the open heath, but I had been on site for nearly 5 hours before I found these. They were on the branch of willow which had split away at tis base, with some attachment still to the base of the trunk.

Xanthoria parietina (first 3 images) is usually the rich yellow but can be greyish or green (fourth image). Physcia adscendens has its spores in "helmet-like cups on the ends of branches".

The stereos are crosseye.

Olympus EM-1 (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 x2 TC, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, f10, hand-held.

Harold