Options

Meet the Parents

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited June 28, 2022 in Holy Macro

I have been a collector of cacti for over 50 years. Although I like to have a representative collection, showing all the main forms, I have certain preferences.

One group I particularly like have the tubular flower type. The narrowest, most slender tubes are found in Cleistocactus, so-named because the stamens almost close the tube. Wider ones include Matucana and Hildewintera. These can be cross-pollinated to produce intergeneric hybrids. They can also hybridise with Echinopsis, Lobivia, etc.

On about 16 July 2019 I hand pollinated the Hildewintera hybrid Kleine Gelbe 2* (small yellow) with a pure white Echinopsis.

There was no other potential pollen donor open so any seed would be from fertilisation by the Echinopsis, or by self-fertilisation.

By 23 July the fruit was seen to be forming.

On 10 August I cut fruit open and collected 15 black seed plus some paler ones, all of which I set to dry.

I will be sowing those seeds today. If they germinate it will be several years before any flowers are produced.

Hildewintera aureispina X CHH Hessenland, hybridized by Heinrich Humke”. The stem is about the size of my thumb.

Olympus EM-1, (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, f8 or f9, hand-held.

The stereos are crosseye.

Harold