You know those images made out of many images?

spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
edited January 24, 2006 in Finishing School
You know what I'm talking about? I wish I knew they were called. Then I could just google for it.

It's like this: far away, you see a single image, but close up, you can see it's made of lots of different little images.

So I'm looking to make one. Anyone know what they are called or know of any software that would help me create such a thing?

thanks!
Trish

Comments

• AngelaAngela Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Hi!
    I typed in photo montage and this site came up. Is that what you mean?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Photo mosaics or montages
    spider-t wrote:
    You know what I'm talking about? I wish I knew they were called. Then I could just google for it.

It's like this: far away, you see a single image, but close up, you can see it's made of lots of different little images.

So I'm looking to make one. Anyone know what they are called or know of any software that would help me create such a thing?

thanks!
    Trish

I believe they are called Photo Mosaics. Sometimes also called montages. While some of these packages do make a single image out of lots of smaller images, it appears that many are also using the same words to just describe a collection of lots of small images, even if they don't make a larger image. Here's one page describing a bunch of different software packages that call themselves mosaics.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Strictly speaking, an image made up of little images is called a collage. A montage is layers of images pasted on top of each other where each image retains its own identity. Most folks use the terms montage and collage interchangeably.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    yeah, photo mosaics...

thy this

Be prepared to have LOTS and LOTS of pictures handy for that. I always tell the software to copy as many as they like, otherwise i run out of pictures.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Photo Mosaic Software
    Like this?

The original shot
    324795-L-1.jpg

53714300-L-0.jpg

and here's a crop ...
    53714295-L-0.jpg

I did this nearly 4 years ago when my Mom passed away. I only used it the one time. There are other options within the sofware to get it done more "randomly" but I didn't have time to figure it out. The shot is made up from about 1000 old family photos, spanning 100 years.

I gave a 30x40 print of this to my dad, he loves it!

Here's the website: http://www.aolej.com/mosaic/gallery.htm

Hope this helps!
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    I don't know for sure, but I think this technique apes the painting style of Chuck Close. Does anyone know if he actually invented that idea? I suppose in some sense that Seurat actually came pretty close.
    If not now, when?
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Like this?

The original shot
    324795-L-1.jpg

Assuming that's a photo of your mom - She's a very beautiful lady with a kind face.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Assuming that's a photo of your mom - She's a very beautiful lady with a kind face.

wave.gif Hiya Bodley - yes that's my Mom. She passed away in 2002. This photo was from her college years, 1946 I believe. Thanks!
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Brilliant! Thanks
    That's exactly what I was looking for.

cheers,
    Trish