Options

Horrible Videos

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins

This is a 27 sec video that does not get focus until 12 sec mark. This happens to every video in the gallery.
I'm on a 200meg download. What the crap is going on?

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2019

I think we've been told that Smug figures what speed to download but that should be solved on the first download not on every video.
    This is pure garbage. I'd rather see a spinning wheel till the full in focus download finishes.
    Edit: just tested:
    Download Mbps 214.87
    Upload Mbps 11.39

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited September 25, 2019

Have to agree with Allen here. I experience the same thing with the few videos I have up at SM. Only until near the end of a 30 sec. video does it snap into a resolution that doesn't look like 1998. Doesn't ever happen with my same videos over at Vimeo.

EDIT: I was using my wife's laptop with Chrome and Win10, and I didn't experience the low res. start as on Chrome on a Mac.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Djm3006Djm3006 Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2019

Oh...I guess it's not just me. Other video services do seem to "spin up" to full resolution much faster. It is a great disappointment given how much Smugmug costs, and how much more some of us now pay compared to a few years ago.

This is marketed as a premium service, but there are things like blotchy video, and iOS apps that don't conform to current photo viewing conventions like double-tapping to zoom in and back out. I've been a loyal paying Smugmug user for over 10 years, but some of the obvious rough edges that remain, long after the price hike, are starting to wear me down.