Options

root canal = photo op

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 16, 2004 in People
hello forum,

in a previous post, i introduced you to my dentist

today, meet my endodontist, dr. rubin :) dr. rubin's a great guy, steady hands, no pain really at all. and for a wuss like me, when it comes to root canal work, that's very important. i shot this after he finished my root canal therapy today.

13208222-L-1.jpg

shot with canon 20d, and canon 15mm fisheye lens aboard. iso 200, f/2.8, 1/200th sec. available light, only. shot in raw and pushed the exposure on his face by 1 full stop, leaving the rest of the scene as is.

enjoy (dental) photography,

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2004
    Nice shot, especially considering the pain, drugs, trauma, etc.

Also, another example of the power of RAW.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    Nice shot. but scary.

My dentist is great and I still hate going there.
  • Options
    raw rocks
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice shot, especially considering the pain, drugs, trauma, etc.

Also, another example of the power of RAW.

a big dynamic range here, that only raw would put up with.

thanks for the kind words!
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    Incredibly great shot, Andy, as always!
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Hey, that is a neat shot of your dentist, Andy. I often think we should do more of that. I have taken pictures at my hairdresser's, so she will remember how to cut my hair. It made her very nervous.

And I have taken pictures at the vet's, both of my dogs and my daughter and her dogs.

You, have taken such things to the best degree. I love it.

Perhaps you could get Kodak whatever to want it. I mean that, it is so different.

How was it difficult? Because of the flesh tones and the white in the rest of the room? Who is Ken Rockwell? How does he say raw is a crutch?

HEHE, you could have told me that it was a crutch earlier and I would have jumped right on it.

You just have to get that shot published, or do something with it. I have seen shots kind of like that, I am sure, but that is the best, a real grabber.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    andy wrote:
    hello forum,

in a previous post, i introduced you to my dentist

today, meet my endodontist, dr. rubin :) dr. rubin's a great guy, steady hands, no pain really at all. and for a wuss like me, when it comes to root canal work, that's very important. i shot this after he finished my root canal therapy today.

8577129-S.jpg

shot with canon 20d, and canon 15mm fisheye lens aboard. iso 200, f/2.8, 1/200th sec. available light, only. shot in raw and pushed the exposure on his face by 1 full stop, leaving the rest of the scene as is.

enjoy (dental) photography,
    \
    I appreciate the technical difficulty of this shot with the darker facial tones and the bright flourescent lites behind. Shot in RAW is right - Like you said - a jpg would not work in this situation without completely blowing out the highlights or grossly underexposing the facial details. And to think that you did this while coming out of the anesthesia rolleyes1.gif Remarkable! Sounds like your 20D has a future too!
    I hope you are feeling better.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinder wrote:
    \
    I appreciate the technical difficulty of this shot with the darker facial tones and the bright flourescent lites behind. Shot in RAW is right - Like you said - a jpg would not work in this situation without completely blowing out the highlights or grossly underexposing the facial details. And to think that you did this while coming out of the anesthesia rolleyes1.gif Remarkable! Sounds like your 20D has a future too!
    I hope you are feeling better.

Anesthesia?

g

But I do second the idea of you feeling better. I sincerely do hope that this time is better than last time.

Anesthesia?
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    your passion is impressive clap.gif
    camera at the ready, inspirational stuff, thanks andy
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    any more from the fish eye??
  • Options
    That doctor has very clean glasses.thumb.gif That is just an observation.

Also, don't you have two very wide lenses now. Maybe you could accidentally "drop" one in the mail.:D
    ginger
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    Andys dentist
    Andy no one likes going to the dentist Kodak may not go for that one may clear the square bad memorys pain ect Glad you are feelig better and thank you for the responce from a few days ago Jeff oh your dentist is useing an old light pelton crane if you can upgrade to 20d tell him to upgrade rolleyes1.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jantzenjantzen Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    Hi Andy, it's Jantzen from over at STF!

My wife and I still love your autographed bridge walker. Brings a little bit of the dynamism of the city to little old South Carolina.

I love the root canal shot.

20D!?!

How do you have a 20D already?

I am shooting some publicity shots Thurs. night for a local theater group and I am going to stop on my way home and get my shot for the "After Dark" Challenge. I am working out all the details in my head just now and really hope my shot will be what one might call a "contenda".

We shall see.

How is the 20D?

I am trying to talk myself out of a D1X. I have a pal with millions of dollars worth of glass that is exclusively F-mount, so I think I will be going the Nikon way when I jump to the land of dSLR's.

Jantzen
  • Options
    welcome to dgrin, jantzen
    wave.gif

thanks so much for joining, and also for entering the challenge! nice to have you aboard here. yes, i still love the "umbrella man" too. he's on my wall over my head as i type this :D

the 20d rocks. here's a post i made right here

jantzen wrote:

My wife and I still love your autographed bridge walker. Brings a little bit of the dynamism of the city to little old South Carolina.

I love the root canal shot.

20D!?!

How do you have a 20D already?

I am shooting some publicity shots Thurs. night for a local theater group and I am going to stop on my way home and get my shot for the "After Dark" Challenge. I am working out all the details in my head just now and really hope my shot will be what one might call a "contenda".

We shall see.

How is the 20D?

I am trying to talk myself out of a D1X. I have a pal with millions of dollars worth of glass that is exclusively F-mount, so I think I will be going the Nikon way when I jump to the land of dSLR's.

Jantzen
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2004
    jantzen wrote:

Jantzen
    Hi Jantzen, ginger here. Yes, it is great to have you, great that you are going to post to the Challenge.

And I am in Charleston, SC since 1984, Mt Pleasant. Where are you? Local theater group sounds like a Charleston thing, could you be here?

ginger