Took my D2X to the beach

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited February 3, 2006 in Sports
Hi Y'all,

I have been getting acquinted with my new D2X so I took it down to one of our local beaches

53706037-O.jpg

to see how it handled action shots
53706040-O.jpg

53706046-O.jpg

53727877-O.jpg

53706039-O.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Nice pictures, Harry.

Re the frame and exif info..............I still don't like it, I know you do, and that is your right. But I was just noticing your bright yellow signature: is there a reason for that, too?

I really have held this inside me for a long time, sorry. But now my thinking is that the rest might not be quite so distracting, but my eyes are really pulled to the bright yellow sig rather than the photo??

Have you noticed that?

Glad you are enjoying your new camera and the warmth, the sunshine!

I have some Kingfisher shots for you later today. Got them yesterday. Saw two Kingfishers in one day. Either that or he followed me across the creek.

Smile,
    gingerthumb.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Nice pictures, Harry.

Re the frame and exif info..............I still don't like it, I know you do, and that is your right. But I was just noticing your bright yellow signature: is there a reason for that, too?

I really have held this inside me for a long time, sorry. But now my thinking is that the rest might not be quite so distracting, but my eyes are really pulled to the bright yellow sig rather than the photo??

Have you noticed that?

Glad you are enjoying your new camera and the warmth, the sunshine!

I have some Kingfisher shots for you later today. Got them yesterday. Saw two Kingfishers in one day. Either that or he followed me across the creek.

Smile,
    gingerthumb.gif

Ginger, I like, I'm going to keep on using it for my web postings.
    Looking forward to seeing your KF shots.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Nice sharp shots, did you take it for a swim:D
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    I think a real test of the "X" would be some more beer belly fisherman shots rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif

crop on surfers, how much? They look real clean thumb.gif
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Wow, you took those with the 80-400? I know the D2X is faster focusing, but...I can't believe you caught action shots with that lens. I can go get a sandwich while I wait for that lens to focus on my D70 mwink.gif

Nice pics.
    edited January 24, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Nice sharp shots, did you take it for a swim:D

Thanks Gary. The D2X is water sealed but I kept it safeky away from the water. I even told Linda that if I should trip and start to fall off the embankment she was to save the camera and let me fend for myself.
    Harry
    edited January 24, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    I think a real test of the "X" would be some more beer belly fisherman shots rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif

crop on surfers, how much? They look real clean thumb.gif

I looked for them but they weren't hanging around that day. :cry

The shots were not cropped much. Just a tad (less than 10%) for composition.
    Harry
    edited January 24, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    Wow, you took those with the 80-400? I know the D2X is faster focusing, but...I can't believe you caught action shots with that lens. I can go get a sandwich while I wait for that lens to focus on my D70 mwink.gif

Nice pics.

Thnaks Ziggy. I have been using the 80-400 for over 2 years now and its still one of my favorites. It focuses much faster on my D2s than it does on my D100. Getting surfing shots is fairly easy with the 80-400 because you can predict where the surfers are going. I try to lock focus on the subject before he/it gets into shooting range. Then I just track the subject until I want to shoot.
    Harry
  • rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    nice action shots,
    but what the hell happend to the sky in that 1st pix ?? eek7.gif
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 24, 2006
    Geeze Harry,

Didn't we just cover this in one of your recent threads? You are a bird photographer eek7.gif And here you and your fancy new camera go trying to steal thunder from us sports shooters umph.gif

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

J/K buddy and as well as your previous thread showed off the breadth of your photographic skills, I believe this is the first real sports shots I've seen you post thumb.gif I do remember a surf shot here and there, but not more than one. I also think you have posted some pics of Andy munching some ribs. Now that's an "extreme" sports pic.....Laughing.gif

Good work buddy and welcome to the Sports Forum wave.gif :lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 24, 2006
    nice action shots,
    but what the hell happend to the sky in that 1st pix ?? eek7.gif

Thanks RM. That sky in the first shot is funky but that's the kind of day it was. It was not bright out, very hazy and we had showers off and on. The sky in the shot is pretty much teh way the day was. :cry
    Harry
  • Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Excellent work Harry, glad your liking the new toy!
    -Mike
  • rallymaniacrallymaniac Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Thanks RM. That sky in the first shot is funky but that's the kind of day it was. It was not bright out, very hazy and we had showers off and on. The sky in the shot is pretty much teh way the day was. :cry
    sorry Harryb, i was talking about the horrible pixels that were visible in the sky between the tone trasisions but apparently it was due to my poor monitor at work. Now when i look at it at home it's fine :D
    Good job thumb.gif
    edited January 25, 2006
    [
    quote=Steve Cavigliano]Geeze Harry,

Didn't we just cover this in one of your recent threads? You are a bird photographer eek7.gif And here you and your fancy new camera go trying to steal thunder from us sports shooters umph.gif

Actually I was trying to shoot some sea gulls and those surfer dudes got in the way. :lol
    Harry
    edited January 25, 2006
    Excellent work Harry, glad your liking the new toy!

Thanks Michael. I do like it. clap.gif
    Harry
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Awesome Harry, not sure if I said it but congrats on the new camera...
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    Very nice. Very nice indeed. But why are all those people at the beach
    on a work day :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Harry, as long as your are going to put all that info on the bottom of your shots, may I suggest a few things and ask a few questions?

I'd love to know what time of day the shots were taken. That's a lot more interesting in than what day they were taken because it helps understand what kind of natural lighting there was and how you used and/or overcame it.

These all say "Uncalibrated: flash". What does that mean? Were you really using a fill flash for these? The focal length is pretty long for that to have worked and the shutter speed is fast for sync to have worked.

Are these all uncropped? Knowing how much cropping would be a very useful thing to add to the info you show.

All the surf shots I've taken have been on Nantucket and the beach there is on the north side of the island and thus gets south light, which is a big drag. The best light is dawn, and often that's also when the worst surf is and certainly the scene isn't as interesting at that time (and also it interferes with my own prefered am activities.) Except in TS swells, the break is pretty far out and even with 20D, 300 + 2xtc it's a long reach.

I've found that the sun angle has a huge impact on surf shots because of the way it hits the humid air and water droplets. You seem to have handled the lighting well, so additional technical info would be very helpful.

Since all these cameras have AF, you'd think distance to focal point would be info they'd have and could add to the exif. Wouldn't that be great?
    If not now, when?
    edited January 26, 2006
    [
    quote=rutt]Harry, as long as your are going to put all that info on the bottom of your shots, may I suggest a few things and ask a few questions

no
    I'd love to know what time of day the shots were taken. That's a lot more interesting in than what day they were taken because it helps understand what kind of natural lighting there was and how you used and/or overcame it.

You see Rutt this is a script I downloaded and it don't do that.
    These all say "Uncalibrated: flash". What does that mean? Were you really using a fill flash for these? The focal length is pretty long for that to have worked and the shutter speed is fast for sync to have worked.

means that no flash was used
    Are these all uncropped? Knowing how much cropping would be a very useful thing to add to the info you show.

yes it would but the script don't do that
    All the surf shots I've taken have been on Nantucket and the beach there is on the north side of the island and thus gets south light, which is a big drag. The best light is dawn, and often that's also when the worst surf is and certainly the scene isn't as interesting at that time (and also it interferes with my own prefered am activities.) Except in TS swells, the break is pretty far out and even with 20D, 300 + 2xtc it's a long reach.

I've found that the sun angle has a huge impact on surf shots because of the way it hits the humid air and water droplets. You seem to have handled the lighting well, so additional technical info would be very helpful.

Yes it would Rutt but that script dosen't provide for that. Being a big lazy that's way too much typing for me to do on each pic. I use the script because it provides a bit more info than the exif on Smugmug.I would love to find a script that captures the additional info you requested but I haven't found one yet.
    Since all these cameras have AF, you'd think distance to focal point would be info they'd have and could add to the exif. Wouldn't that be great?

Yes it would.
    Harry
    edited January 26, 2006
    What kind of script is it, Harry? I might be able to help, if you want.

But speaking of photography and not scripts, maybe you can just answer. What time of day? Cropped? How far away, about? Does the usual break at that beach work well with the light for shooting surfers?
    If not now, when?
    edited January 26, 2006
    [
    quote=rutt]What kind of script is it, Harry? I might be able to help, if you want.

Here's the link to the site I downloaded it from.

But speaking of photography and not scripts, maybe you can just answer. What time of day? Cropped? How far away, about? Does the usual break at that beach work well with the light for shooting surfers?
    [/QUOTE]

It was probably early afternoon. Most fo the shots were lightly cropped (maybe 10%) for composition. I was shooting from a jetty and was probably around 20-30 yards from the surfers. This was my first time at this beach and I have no idea of what or when the usual break for that beach is. I was scouting locations for the wildlife shoot, my wife needed a pit stop, we pulled on in and while she was busy I walked around, saw some surfers, said "cool" and took some pics.
    Harry
    edited January 26, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

Here's the link to the site I downloaded it from.

No script link? Can you fix?
    I was shooting from a jetty and was probably around 20-30 yards from the surfers. [/QUOTE]

Ah, a jetty! That's an idea. Maybe the town of Nantucket will build one for me.
    If not now, when?
    edited January 26, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    No script link? Can you fix?
    I was shooting from a jetty and was probably around 20-30 yards from the surfers.

Ah, a jetty! That's an idea. Maybe the town of Nantucket will build one for me.[/quote]

link
    http://www.joe-sherry.com/PrintEXIF/index.htm
    Harry
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Ah, a jetty! That's an idea. Maybe the town of Nantucket will build one for me.

You'd have to show that a jetty fits within the historical character of Nantucket. They have some mean building codes there.
    edited January 26, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    You'd have to show that a jetty fits within the historical character of Nantucket. They have some mean building codes there.

Maybe B&H has jetties in stock?
    If not now, when?
    edited January 26, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    Awesome Harry, not sure if I said it but congrats on the new camera...

Thanks Ed. I had to send the D2X back to B&H today (stopped metering) but I'm looking forward to receiving its replacement.
    Harry
    edited January 26, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Very nice. Very nice indeed. But why are all those people at the beach
    on a work day :D

Ian

Ian this is Florida. Going to the beach is our job. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    edited January 26, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Thanks Ed. I had to send the D2X back to B&H today (stopped metering) but I'm looking forward to receiving its replacement.

It's that great Nikon quality assurance at work.
    If not now, when?
    edited January 26, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    It's that great Nikon quality assurance at work.

Why thank you for that kind expression of concern John.
    Harry
    edited January 26, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Why thank you for that kind expression of concern John.

How could I possibly resist that?

On the other hand, I am planning to figure out out PS script so you can control what info gets included more conveniently.
    If not now, when?