Swim meet, advice please ?

tony larcombetony larcombe Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited January 26, 2006 in Sports
Hi, I've just been offered the opportunity to photograph a swim meet, this is a new direction for me, anyone got any helpful advice ?

I'm shooting with a 20D, 70-200L f4.0, not sure if I can use my flash or not.

Thanks,
Tony.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Hi, I've just been offered the opportunity to photograph a swim meet, this is a new direction for me, anyone got any helpful advice ?

I'm shooting with a 20D, 70-200L f4.0, not sure if I can use my flash or not.

Thanks,
    Tony.

You're in the Northeast, IIRC, right? So I imagine it's an indoor meet. Flash will most certainly be NOT allowed - distracting! So plan on NO flash. You'll need to get fast enough shutter speed, Tony. I'd like to be at 1/500th but even higher if possible. I don't think you'll get that, not at f/4 - but here are my tips:

* get or rent faster glass. 200L f/2.8, 70-200L f/2.8, etc.
    * shoot wide open
    * depending on the source of man-made lights, and / or outside sunlight coming in (skylights - windows), you may want to dial in negative ec -1/3, -2/3s.
    * shoot in RAW so you can get more exposure latitude in post. Also this will help for the hinky whitebalance that indoor venues like this will give you.
    * AI Servo, center focus, evaluative metering.
    * scout the location - find out where you'll be shooting from. BEST BET: shoot a practice. Get permission from the coach.

Hope this helps!
  • tony larcombetony larcombe Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Thanks Andy, yes North East, 30 miles west out of Philly.

I was also thinking of upping the ISO. I'm not sure I'll have the time to rent a 2.8 beforehand, would upping the ISO to 1600 or 3200 give me the speed that I need ?

I like your idea of shooting a practice first, I'll certanily look into it.

Tony.
    edited January 24, 2006
    Thanks Andy, yes North East, 30 miles west out of Philly.

I was also thinking of upping the ISO. I'm not sure I'll have the time to rent a 2.8 beforehand, would upping the ISO to 1600 or 3200 give me the speed that I need ?

I like your idea of shooting a practice first, I'll certanily look into it.

Tony.

1600 probably will be required. Shoot the practice and let us know, share the pics deal.gif
    edited January 24, 2006
    Tony - be prepared for so-so results. I know guys who shoot with a 200 f/1.8 ($4-$5K used) Canon L for this purpose - it's a tough nut to crack @ f/4. Can be done though, but I *really* suggest scouting the venue first.
    edited January 24, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Tony - be prepared for so-so results. I know guys who shoot with a 200 f/1.8 ($4-$5K used) Canon L for this purpose - it's a tough nut to crack @ f/4. Can be done though, but I *really* suggest scouting the venue first.

Andy, this is the advice I wanted, I'll look into renting something a little faster for the venue (may try mine for the practice though !), this is the first time that I've done this, hopefully the results will make it not the last :D
    edited January 24, 2006
    Andy, this is the advice I wanted, I'll look into renting something a little faster for the venue (may try mine for the practice though !), this is the first time that I've done this, hopefully the results will make it not the last :D

I'm passing you good karma for lots of skylights at that pool thumb.gif
    edited January 24, 2006
    Just spoke to someone from the club, no skylights and no windows ! the good karma didn't work Andy ne_nau.gif
    edited January 24, 2006
    Canon 200 f/2.8L is about $550 ish.
    Canon 85 f/1.8 is only about $330 ish.

You could look into rentals. Keeble & Schuchat do nice rentals. They'll ship, too.
    edited January 25, 2006
    Andy, thanks for the rental link, unfortunately there's no chance of me buying a new lens at this point in time, my business manager (the wife) said so !

I was wondering, excuse my ignorance, why did you originally say cut down the exposure compensation ? is that for the extra speed, or for the water reflections ?
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    I LOVE SHOOTING SWIMMING!!!! partly because its such a challenging sport to capture.

But totally scope out the venue and shoot a practice (alot of times you can get better photos at practice than you can at meets) And dont get too fustrated at the timing of shots, with swimming you really have very little windows of "face time"

When scouting the venue think of backgrounds....places where you can stand where you can get nice clean shots of the swimmers without distractiing backgrounds. Even more challenging is diving.

Another thing to look for is reaction shots. Swimmers are great at cheering each other on, look for faces on the crowd trying to cheer a swimmer in a close race, and ALSO look for reaction shots, usually when the swimmers get to the end, they will look up at the time board. This is where you will get the fist pumps and stuff.

44283951-M-1.jpg

44282788-M.jpg

44280979-M.jpg

44282946-M.jpg

44280887-M-1.jpg

And of course the SEA MONSTER!!!
    44281268-M.jpg

I wish there was more swimming to shoot, cause its challenging and I would love to get more time with it. but have fun and be ready to get your feet wet, literally.
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    I have been shooting indoor swim meets for a couple of months with a D70 and Sigma 70-200 f2.8. Results without flash are not worth mentioning. Artificial lights and no skylights are the pits. And the D70 has LOTS of noise above ASA 400.

After talking with officials, I was allowed to use flash as long as I did not shoot at the start when a strobe flashed for the swimmers. At 1/500 and my very capable SB-800, I can get some decent results. I will post if you want to see samples.

Yes - shooting at practices helped me to dial in my settings.
    edited January 26, 2006
    Thank you Winger, great shots, if I can come away with anything half as good as that I'll be more than happy.

Can you tell me what your set up is please ? just wondering how you captured those fantastic shots.