Migrate from Flickr with Smugglr or other service? Does anyone have smugglr working?

goldennumbergoldennumber Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins

Greetings!

I loved how Smugglr preserved album structure, titles, descriptions, and tags when migrating from Flickr to Smugmug. Might anyone have smugglr working at the moment? What version of Firefox and operating system would you recommend?

Is there any other migration service which preserves album structure, titles, descriptions, and tags when migrating from Flickr to Smugmug?

Love both Flickr & Smugmug--thank you! :)

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins

Hi there,
    While I can't say if it would still work, if you're really set on giving SmuggLr another try (it's not maintained at this point and completely unsupported), the last Firefox version I believe it worked on was Firefox 52.9.0esr. If you really intend to install that way outdated Firefox, you might want to use that on a secondary computer or a virtual machine if you have one as to not add any such outdated software on your main machine.
    And I'd also only use that Firefox for SmuggLr and nothing else, so you wouldn't want to make it your default browser.

Also, if you get that Firefox, make sure to head to the officiaMozilla site where they normally are still offering the old releases. Stay away from other sites offering it.

In regards to migration services, PicBackMan as a third party service comes to mind, but I didn't try it for any Flickr SmugMug migration so I can't say what structure it uses.

Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins

Hi - I agree with rainforest above.
    I got Smugglr to work in Firefox - outdated version.
    For PicBackMan - works really well - depending on the amount of photos you are transferring you might have to pay a fee.

• Jerryr
  • bethjimbethjim Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    "I got Smugglr to work in Firefox - outdated version."

Yep, I did the same - HOWEVER - when I used it to bring photos in from my Zenfolio account ---> Many photos lost their rotation orientation.

I uploaded the same folders direct from my PC to Smugmug and did NOT have the problem with rotation.

I've always been confused by the way different applications / organizers / photo sites interpret / honor (or don't) the EXIF orientation tags.

I'm not even sure which editing apps actually use EXIF orientation tags when I correct a rotation issue with them or they just adjust for use within the app.

Call me EXIF challanged....

Jim