Amazing Maine 2019 Part II

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Please tell me which you prefer of each of the two scenes below. All comments are welcomed. Thanks, Lauren

1 v. 2 Stream and trees

3 v. 4 Road and trees

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Hi Lauren,

I favor 2 and 4 more or less for the same reason, a greater perception of depth. 3 also provides that, but I think 4 is more visually pleasing.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I prefer 1 & 4. I like the pulled back view in 1, and the intimacy of the colors in 4.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Hey, Lauren,

Nice work. You've still got the touch. I'm with my friend from Brazil.....my choices here are #2 and #4.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Thanks, y'all. I am really torn between 1 and 2. I favored 3 when I first saw it, mainly because of the tree framing the scene on the left. But the road looks too strident. Cristobal hit the nail on the head--4 is "more visually appealing."

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited November 26, 2019

Here are a couple more views of the first two. I know I need to re-process these two because they don't seem as rich but I want to know about the composition. Thoughts?

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@redleash said:
    Here are a couple more views of the first two. I know I need to re-process these two because they don't seem as rich but I want to know about the composition. Thoughts?

I still prefer the first one. I think my preference is for two reasons - I like the pulled back version of this, and the colors are stronger.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Hard. But I think I prefer #1 over #2 mainly because the reflections of the trees makes it a lot more interesting, they are leading my eyes to the middle and then further over the whole frame. Number #2 has the focus more on the water in the middle, which leads to "nowhere" imho,

For #3 vs #4, it's definitely #4 for me, because the trees lead my eyes to the back of the image, making me wonder what might be further down the road behind the bend that leads out of the image.

Great stuff!

Cheers,
    Can

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2019

On #5 and #6.....I much prefer #5. They're both nice images but #5 benefits from having a lot more " breathing room " at the top ( more sky ), appears more balanced .

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Thanks for the additional comments and insight! I think I will print 1, 2 and 4 to see how they look. If ok then I may print one for the wall.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I prefer #5, with the yellow leaves floating in the water in the foreground. I like the yellow catchlight in the foreground - I might brush out the single leaf closest to the inferior margin of the frame.

I also like 3 and 4, 4 better than 3 because the trees are closer, larger and more colorful

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Great set! Hard for me to pick a favorite.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!