D2x or D200?

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited January 27, 2006 in Cameras
I am having a hard time deciding. My wife gave me the go-ahead to get the D2X but after handling the D200, I'm wondering if I should just get that one instead?

I really like the D2X and how it feels, but for ~$2500 less, I can get the D200. My main focus right now is weddings and portraits.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    D2X has some advantages for sports or action photography
    JohnR wrote:
    I am having a hard time deciding. My wife gave me the go-ahead to get the D2X but after handling the D200, I'm wondering if I should just get that one instead?

I really like the D2X and how it feels, but for ~$2500 less, I can get the D200. My main focus right now is weddings and portraits.

Any input would be appreciated.

I'd love to hear what other meaningful advantages people think the D2X has over the D200 as I'm also pondering the two (I have a D70 now). The most meaningful difference I've found so far (to me) is that the D2X can shoot more frames per second (particularly in high speed crop mode) and has a more advanced auto-focus system, both of which are most advantageous for shooting sports or other types of action photography and wouldn't matter at all for weddings or portraits.

And, of course, there's the obvious 10MP vs. 12MP, but that doesn't seem like a big enough difference to drive the decision one way or another. 6 or 8 MP are plenty for good weddings and portraits, so both cameras have more than enough for you there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    Good point re: more fps with the D2X. I didn't think of trying out the D200 and seeing what it can do.

Yeah, the MP thing isn't any consideration for me since it's only 2MP.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    D200!clap.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    John,
    Do you still have your D2H and D70?
    I've been following your saga, but I cannot recall which bodies you currently have.
    If you sold the D2H, you should get the D2X and keep the D70 as a backup. It would be nice to have one pro body for those times when speed and better handling would be advantageous.
    If you still have the D2H, you should buy the D200! What a great combo that would be.
    I have a D2X and a D70. My D70 rarely gets used these days (except by my wife). It feels like a toy to me compared to the D2X.

Good luck with your decision.
  • stephcha@nmsu.edustephcha@nmsu.edu Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    I would go the route of a D200. I am a long time Nikon shooter as well. I have used my buddies d2x and i have used my mothers D200. I just like the size and the features. I mean if you really do like hanging 20lbs around your neck... Go D2x..... Laughing.gif I think for portraits and weddings it would be more than enough..... you also have the extra cash for extras. Hence some Sb800's for Nikons CLS system, a few extra lens... say some low apeture primes for low light weddings...

PS. It nice to see someone else that shoots nikon and uses mac

steve..

WHen ppl ask me what kind of computer i use i tell them i use the same one GOD does..... a mac Laughing.gif
    edited January 25, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    John,
    Do you still have your D2H and D70?

I sold my D2H. Still have the D70.

I took some shots yesterday with the D200 and the D2X in the local camera store. I have to say that I really liked how the D200 felt and the viewfinder was nice!

Here's the link...D200 shots are first at ISO 400, 800, 1250 and 1600
    D2X are the last 3: ISO 1 step over 800 (I believe it's HI-1), 400 then 800

http://louisvilleky.smugmug.com/gallery/1153919
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    This is a problem I wish I had. But I'm trying to keep away from buying a D200 because I'm saving for a house.

Let me ask you a related question: what lenses do you own now?
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 25, 2006
    I mean if you really do like hanging 20lbs around your neck... Go D2x.....
    Hang a Canon 1DmkII around your neck and get back to me. I'm still amazed at how light my bag is when I pack it for school with my usual stuff and the D2H with normal zoom onboard.

John: D2h and D200 would be ideal in my book. If you have the go ahead on funds for a D2X, why not sell the D70 and buy a spanky new D200 and another good example of a D2h? Then you still have a pro body and still less than a new D2X. Plus, if you have a D70 and a D200, when would you ever want to use the D70? Only in a real backup situation, ie. broken D200, right?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited January 25, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    This is a problem I wish I had. But I'm trying to keep away from buying a D200 because I'm saving for a house.

Let me ask you a related question: what lenses do you own now?

Heh...we are closing on our new house next week so I know how that is! :):

Lenses I have now are:
    18-70mm
    105mm f/2.8 macro
    50mm f/1.8
    80-200mm f/2.8
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    quote=zigzag]This is a problem I wish I had. But I'm trying to keep away from buying a D200 because I'm saving for a house.

Talk about your screwed up priorities. ne_nau.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited January 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hang a Canon 1DmkII around your neck and get back to me. I'm still amazed at how light my bag is when I pack it for school with my usual stuff and the D2H with normal zoom onboard.

John: D2h and D200 would be ideal in my book. If you have the go ahead on funds for a D2X, why not sell the D70 and buy a spanky new D200 and another good example of a D2h? Then you still have a pro body and still less than a new D2X. Plus, if you have a D70 and a D200, when would you ever want to use the D70? Only in a real backup situation, ie. broken D200, right?

I didn't mind the weight of the D2H.

Get another D2H? Are you kidding me? umph.gif My wife would strangle me for selling mine then getting another one!!rolleyes1.gif

I think the route I'm leaning towards is the D200 and when I make (hopefully) some money off of photography, get a D2X later on.

Dr.It, you would be surprised..I would use my D70 as a back up during weddings. That was my combo when I had my D2H.
    edited January 25, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

No kidding. I just couldn't understand why my wife didn't want to invest the $30K into photography items instead of a new house.headscratch.gif1drink.gif
    edited January 25, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    Heh...we are closing on our new house next week so I know how that is! :):

Lenses I have now are:
    18-70mm
    105mm f/2.8 macro
    50mm f/1.8
    80-200mm f/2.8

Then the answer is simple, IMO. The D2X rewards very high quality glass. Not trying to diss your current collection (the 105 makes a good portrait lens I've heard), but for what you're trying to do, you'd be far better served with a D200 + an 85mm f/1.4 (the king of portrait lenses) and/or a 28-70 f/2.8 zoom. Still cost you less than a D2X.

Also in favor of the D200 for portraits is this quote from Bjorn Roslett:
    Skin tones are claimed to be inaccurate with Nikon DSLRs, and many studio photographers swear by the Fuji models instead. So did my friend Ola-E. Hofshagen, who on my request ran a studio session with a fair lady to investigate the performance of D200. He told me afterwards that he'll never use his Fuji S3 again for this kind of work.

Hope it helps.
    edited January 25, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

Hey, if you have a half million bucks lying around I can borrow *cough* I mean have, my priorities will quickly switch away from home acquisition.
    edited January 25, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    Get another D2H? Are you kidding me? umph.gif My wife would strangle me for selling mine then getting another one!!
    Hey, you're the silly one for selling it and then all of a sudden coming up with enough money for a D2X. How'd you pull that off?!

:
    Erik

edited January 25, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    Then the answer is simple, IMO. The D2X rewards very high quality glass. Not trying to diss your current collection (the 105 makes a good portrait lens I've heard), but for what you're trying to do, you'd be far better served with a D200 + an 85mm f/1.4 (the king of portrait lenses) and/or a 28-70 f/2.8 zoom. Still cost you less than a D2X.

Also in favor of the D200 for portraits is this quote from Bjorn Roslett:

Hope it helps.

Thanks. I'll check out the prices of those lenses.
    edited January 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey, you're the silly one for selling it and then all of a sudden coming up with enough money for a D2X. How'd you pull that off?!

:

She said I could get one...not that I have the money yet! thumb.gif
    edited January 25, 2006
    Remember this post?
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22469&page=2

Several members here recommended holding on to your D2H and getting a D200 at that time. Why didn't you sell the D70 instead?
    edited January 25, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Remember this post?

Several members here recommended holding on to your D2H and getting a D200 at that time. Why didn't you sell the D70 instead?
    I think John remembers all too well. Too late for I told you so's.
    Erik

edited January 25, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Remember this post?

Because I couldn't sell the D70 for anything close to $500 and I decided to keep it instead and use the money for the D2H to get the new camera.
    edited January 25, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    Because I couldn't sell the D70 for anything close to $500 and I decided to keep it instead and use the money for the D2H to get the new camera.
    Where were you selling? I looked for 4 days before I found one for $500!

Hey, just realized, I'm now where you were a couple weeks ago! Does this mean in a little while MrsIt will give me the go ahead for a D2X?!?
    rolleyes1.gif
    Erik

edited January 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Hey, just realized, I'm now where you were a couple weeks ago! Does this mean in a little while MrsIt will give me the go ahead for a D2X?!?
    rolleyes1.gif

Careful, Erik. Once you get your hands on a D2X, you will not want to let go. Truly the epitome of camera perfection!mwink.gif
    edited January 25, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Careful, Erik. Once you get your hands on a D2X, you will not want to let go. Truly the epitome of camera perfection!mwink.gif
    Hush!! I'm not even a month into D2h ownership and the D70 hasn't even been taken out of its shipping box yet!
    Erik

edited January 25, 2006
    Dude...let me know if you're thinking of unloading that D2H...rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

rolleyes1.gif

I haven't actually tried that hard..I did try someplace that I can't recall right now due to alcohol. mwink.gif

I wouldn't mind selling my D70 + 18-70mm lens and getting the D200 with the kit lens.
    edited January 25, 2006
    Hey, look at our 2-Nikon family:

53902988-S.jpg
    Erik

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Brings tears to my eyes. :cry Heart-warming just heart-warming.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

53902988-S.jpg

But ... but, yours' is bigger. (That's the camera, I mean.) You're a cute couple, but the white balance is different. Doncha' just hate when that happens.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 26, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    but the white balance is different. Doncha' just hate when that happens.
    nod.gif

I was rather surprised. I have yet to fiddle with the in-camera processing parameters on the D70, though, so this discrepancy may improve. RAW makes this unimportant, but I still say the D2h is one of the best AWB'ing cameras I've ever used.

Did anyone try to guess which photo was from which camera? I was gonna start my own thread on this, but I'll just hijack John's for the moment.

lol3.gif
    Erik

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey, look at our 2-Nikon family

Awwwww..... now that's just sweet.

Just a simple guess (I dunno much about specific look of Nikon camera images): the left one comes from the D2H, the right one from the D70.
    enjoy being here while getting there