The shoe house . . .

wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
edited January 26, 2006 in Holy Macro
The Haines Shoe House sits right off of the Lincoln Highway (Route 30) near York, PA.

53783919-L.jpg

Mahlon Haines had the Shoe House built in 1948 as an advertising gimmick. He was 73 at the time, and had earned millions from his shoe sales empire in Pennsylvania and Maryland.

The Shoe House was recently featured in a book called Weird Pennsylvania. Sharing space in the book are the stories of odd, unique, and supposedly haunted spots within the Keystone State.

I wanted to keep the theme of weirdness when shooting this tourist sight. Not much photoshop work on my creation - just flash and a long shutter speed to capture the diminishing available light. The shadow around the house is not a masking error! But it makes it look "pasted on".

An odd shot, I know. Not your beautiful scenic or bird-in-flight. But I like the unusual views of the world. :evil

Links about the shoe house:
Link #1
Link #2

Comments and thoughts always welcome.

edit: here's the EXIF
john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
Edward Steichen

Comments