Options

screen shots

bphillybphilly Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited January 25, 2006 in Technique
i was wondering how you get screen shots of your computer and then save them. Like how in the tutorials on this site, most of them show step by step the computer screen. ive seen it done with internet browsers and photoshop, is there a different method to each? thanks!

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,191 moderator
    edited January 24, 2006
    bphilly wrote:
    i was wondering how you get screen shots of your computer and then save them. Like how in the tutorials on this site, most of them show step by step the computer screen. ive seen it done with internet browsers and photoshop, is there a different method to each? thanks!

There is software available to help save multiple screen shots for later photo editing, but Windows (if you're using Windows..?), and a photo editing software, it's pretty easy - but you can only save one shot at a time to the clipboard.

Open your photo editing software. Then go into the application you want to save a screenshot of (it can even be one of the editing software). Just hit the Print Screen button. The screen shot is now saved to the clipboard.

To get that into the photo editing software, make sure the editing software is the app in use. Then either use Edit > copy or hit Ctrl + V and the screen shot image should pop onto the photo editing screen as the current image. Then you can edit it and save it as you like.

An advanced trick is to use Alt + Print Screen together to save just whatever open dialog box to the clipboard instead of the entire screen.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2006
    On a Mac it's real easy, Macs come with a built-in app call "grab" which erem...."grabs" whatever you want lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    i am running windows. im having trouble locating the 'print screen' button in internet explorer. thank you both for your help
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    bphilly wrote:
    i am running windows. im having trouble locating the 'print screen' button in internet explorer. thank you both for your help

It's not a button in the software. it's a physical button on the keyboard, usually on windows based machines somewhere near the top right. I haven't used a full sized keyboard in years, but i think it is somewhere above the group of 4 arrow keys.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    It's not a button in the software. it's a physical button on the keyboard, usually on windows based machines somewhere near the top right. I haven't used a full sized keyboard in years, but i think it is somewhere above the group of 4 arrow keys.

ahhh i found it, thanks very muchthumb.gif
  • Options
    Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2006
    Since you've solved your problem .... this is slightly off topic ....

Anyone else on a Mac using SnapZ Pro? It also allows you to do some basic video capture as well. I like the App better than Grab.