15 days in Yellowstone National Park in Winter January 2020

pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooterwestern IndianaSuper Moderators Posts: 14,496 moderator
edited February 13, 2020 in Wildlife

My spouse and I recently spent over two weeks in Yellowstone in January 2020. This is our fourth or fifth trip to Yellowstone in winter - a couple by ourselves, and most recently with Mark Muench and Muench Workshops chasing creatures and landscapes in the winter wonderland that is Yellowstone, last month.

We saw otters, coyotes, red foxes, bison, bighorn sheep, pronghorn antelope, and a dozen wolves from a very long way off. We did not get close encounters with wolves like our previous winter trip, but we did see wolves at about 400 yards or more for several hours. The foxes and coyotes were very cooperative however, offering us great glimpse of their life in the snow fields in winter in Yellowstone.

Did you know that red foxes can fly? Here is my evidence

Coyotes fly too

And they sometimes come up happy with a supper in their mouth

Not every time, but enough to keep them jumping 😎

This band of coyotes sang songs to us from about a 1/3 mile aways from us - what see song to hear. Shot with an Oly OM E-M1X and a Panasonic Leica DG 100-400mm lens

I will post some more images if people are interested. I am always open to consider ways to better capture or present my images, so criticisms are welcomed.

Most were captured with a 1Dx Mk II and a Tamron 150-600 G2 optic handheld.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments