Options

"What's that Grandpa??"

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Driving my 12 yr. old grand-daughter around this past fall to see the local colors.

"What's that grandpa??"

Amazing how quickly what was once so familiar, a common sight, quickly fades in the face of technology.

I set out to find other such throw-backs, unfortunately I found none. Scouring the broader area and a bit further afield, I failed to find any more corner postboxes.

This corner may be one of the few remaining bastions of these once prolific, neighborhood American icons.

Comments

• Options
    Lab_TestedLab_Tested Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins

It's always fun explaining what we think is normal, but is novel to the younger crowd. I will confess that I first saw "What's that grandpa??" then started scrolling down. The "3-way" sign caught my eye before seeing the mailbox, but that would be an entirely different conversation to have.

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

This penchant you have for hunting down operable relics ( as I chose to call them ) such as this mail box, the pay phone, etc. is infectious. I find myself looking for them now.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    This penchant you have for hunting down operable relics ( as I chose to call them ) such as this mail box, the pay phone, etc. is infectious. I find myself looking for them now.

Thank you sir. Yea, it is sort of a slight passion I guess for me. I am always looking for those (and I like your classification BTW)...operable relics.