Indoor Soccer, outdoor was apparently not torturous enough

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited January 26, 2006 in Sports
You may remember my "sports aren't for everyone here are some of the signs post" well same kid, different venue. My wife insisted on me video taping the first game Holland v USA, so I was split between still and video. The video is priceless, including lots of Michael Jackson style crotch grabbing, some nose picking, and leaving the gym DURING the game for a drink. Here are some of the more entertaining stills.

53441873-L.jpg

Please don't allow our little game to intrude on your refreshment.

53442097-M.jpg

"I picked up a slowly rolling ball!" Really he just wanted to wear the pinney and was quite frightened when he realized people would be kicking the ball at him.

53443635-M.jpg

this is pretty representational of how indoor soccer goes for 4-6 year olds, a pack of ankle biters and curtain climbers chasing the ball, falling down, and in my son's case trying his dramatic best to look like he is in on the action.

53439053-M-1.jpg

The good news is, there has been NO crying, he has only been knocked down by the opposing coach's butt 2 times, he has learned to climb simian like into closed bleachers, his coach is really cool and low key, and he has fun. The first day of practice Mexico and their hard ass uber sports dad shared the gym with our team, and with military precision ran them through drills they didn't understand. At the end he sat them all down and explained how they were going to run 'their offense', I'm not sure I could deal with him being my son's coach, and I'm SURE my son has more concept of commiting offensive behavior than what an offense is.

BTW Holland lost like 10-0 but who was counting???

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    priceless...
    and I love the commentary:D. Just wait 'til he gets a bit bigger and see what happens.

It must have been difficult shooting those pics indoors; what lens/settings were y ou using?
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 26, 2006
    nice pics-

having gone thru 20+ years of watching my boys play soccer-couple years interim for football fg's and pat's-this brings back memories-

grandson due to start up in a couple years-can't wait-

appreciate your attitude re the hard-line coach, but still like to win-it can be done in a good way--

thanks much for sharing--hope he always enjoys it--your attitude will help ensure he does-

george
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    BTW Holland lost like 10-0 but who was counting???

Ouch! That hurts! Anyhow, nice story, and it's fun to see the images.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    Frog Lady wrote:
    and I love the commentary:D. Just wait 'til he gets a bit bigger and see what happens.

It must have been difficult shooting those pics indoors; what lens/settings were y ou using?

Canon 20D ISO 3200 RAW 70-200 f4L f4 1/250 sec pushed 1.5 to 2 stops in raw conversion.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2006
    thanks for the info
    Blurmore wrote:
    Canon 20D ISO 3200 RAW 70-200 f4L f4 1/250 sec pushed 1.5 to 2 stops in raw conversion.

I guess I'm pretty lucky to live in an area where we can play outside all year long. Not to say it doesn't get cold (relatively speaking:D ), but I think I like outdoor soccer better, at least from a photographers POV. I've only seen indoor once when visiting my sisters family in Maryland. Looks like a very different type of game.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)