Options

From the Rust to Rot Collection

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Dateline 2018...

Traveling the Blue Highways, and came across this old firetruck just sitting out there in an open lot. Just had to stop and take a few images.

1

2

3

4

5

Comments

  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

    Brilliant!

  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,834 Major grins

    I especially like the 4th shot - the balance of the mirror, the red light and the siren.

  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2020

    Excellent work, Gato. You had mentioned that you might hit the blue highways and seek some targets. Well, you found a jewel. A target like this could keep me busy a long time. If you drift toward becoming a real RUST JUNKIE, you'll start to see a subject like this as a chance to unleash some hidden wonders. For instance, you can take an old, totally rusted car door and, with the application of agressive slider manipulation in areas like saturation, color balance etc., you end up with images that you can't believe came from the original shot. I admit that I get a little carried away in my rust work sometimes, but then it's the abstract and colorful result that I'm after. The beauty of shooting rust is that you can be happy and satisfied with stuff as you find it ( as you've done so well here ) or you can elect to pursue the true secrets of rust. As mentioned before, this rust shooting can be viciously addicting..

    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

    @Stumblebum, @sarasphotos @black mamba....

    Thank you all so very much for your comments! Sometimes it is hard to know if I am improving with my work, behind the lens. Your C&C is always appreciated!!

  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

    @black mamba said:
    Excellent work, Gato. You had mentioned that you might hit the blue highways and seek some targets. Well, you found a jewel. A target like this could keep me busy a long time. If you drift toward becoming a real RUST JUNKIE, you'll start to see a subject like this as a chance to unleash some hidden wonders. For instance, you can take an old, totally rusted car door and, with the application of agressive slider manipulation in areas like saturation, color balance etc., you end up with images that you can't believe came from the original shot. I admit that I get a little carried away in my rust work sometimes, but then its the abstract and colorful result that I'm after. The beauty of shooting rust is that you can be happy and satisfied with stuff as you find it ( as you've done so well here ) or you can elect to pursue the true secrets of rust. As mentioned before, this rust shooting can be viciously addicting..

    @black mamba You are so absolutely correct, this subject and genre is addictive. I find myself more and more, looking for older and older architecture, transportation, out buildings, etc., as they seem to emote so much character. Finding a subject, can as you say, evolve into a multi-hour shooting session. I am working on some additional images I hope to share soon. I might try some creative twists as you have alluded to as well.

    Thanks again for your encouragement!!

  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2020

    Gato...

    We are blessed on this forum to have access to the input from some really talented photographers.. To a person, I've found them to be exceptional in sharing their knowledge and techniques with those who are eager to learn. Their support may come in the form of technical advice or maybe just suggestions and ideas that cause others to look at new venues to pursue. Heck, as an example, you have me scrambling all over looking for " operable relics ". Additionally, that article you had published about shooting auroras is world-class stuff. The members of this forum are awash in opportunities to grow their talents if they are of a mind to do so.

    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins

    As a Firefighter, I can relate. I would have done the same if I was passing by (your images would still be better).

  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

    @fool4thecity said:
    As a Firefighter, I can relate. I would have done the same if I was passing by (your images would still be better).

    Thank you for your comment and confidence in my abilities. Very much appreciated!

  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

    @black mamba said:
    Gato...

    We are blessed on this forum to have access to the input from some really talented photographers.. To a person, I've found them to be exceptional in sharing their knowledge and techniques with those who are eager to learn. Their support may come in the form of technical advice or maybe just suggestions and ideas that cause others to look at new venues to pursue. Heck, as an example, you have me scrambling all over looking for " operable relics ". Additionally, that article you had published about shooting auroras is world-class stuff. The members of this forum are awash in opportunities to grow their talents if they are of a mind to do so.

    Black Mamba...

    Sorry for a tardy reply...

    Thank you for your comments, they are always encouraging and reflective of a greater good.

    I too concur, I have gained valuable insights into bettering my photography, stretching my creative boundaries and looking for new approaches to imaging a previous subject, from member comments on my work and from observing other's work as posted here.

    I look forward to continue involvement on this forum (albeit at times, unavoidable absences), growth personally and to tossing in a comment or opinion as appropriate along the way.

    Happy Trails...

Sign In or Register to comment.